Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 03:33 PM

Default K9os button vs SB push $5

This is a 2 table $5 at stars. Normal speed. Final table, in the money as top 4 pay.

The SB in this case is a very aggro pushing freak. Isn't showing down any hands because he is always pushing, even with his stack. Just won QJos vs AK when he was UTG, push, call.

Almost every time I am stealing, he is pushing and I lay down because I have nothing.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG (t1945)
Hero (t7073)
SB (t11377)
BB (t6605)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t11352</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero?

I don't know. How long do I let him push back? More importantly, with my stack, should I just wait around and see if the shorty busts out? A +$EV play?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: K9os button vs SB push $5

correct play. FOLD.
Also use your reads to your advantage, if hero is like you said an aggro pushing maniac, why steal are we trying to steal when he's pushing back a good percentage of the time. Try and wait for a better spot and trap him.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 PM

I agree with crash. You have plenty of chips, so there is no hurry.

I would limp in with some hands and maybe even aise a few and let him push me off of them to set a trap for him. Wait til you get a good hand.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
top 4 pay.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
with my stack, should I just wait around and see if the shorty busts out?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're far away from money so no we don't sit around waiting for people to bust out, play a tight aggressive game and give yourself a shot to win.

[ QUOTE ]

Almost every time I am stealing, he is pushing and I lay down because I have nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
don't steal from those kind of villains, not profitable.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Just push pf, as played is irrelevant because raising and folding with less than 10 BBs is such an egregious error. The only case I could see making a raise like this is to try and entice him into pushing because you feel like you crush his pushing range, but you simply cannot raise then fold, and making a normal raise with K9o is really bad. Oh yeah, since you got there, I'd call here happily.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just push pf, as played is irrelevant because raising and folding with less than 10 BBs is such an egregious error. The only case I could see making a raise like this is to try and entice him into pushing because you feel like you crush his pushing range, but you simply cannot raise then fold, and making a normal raise with K9o is really bad. Oh yeah, since you got there, I'd call here happily.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero has 35BB.... putting that much AIPF with K9o is horrible
Old 10-05-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero has 35BB.... putting that much AIPF with K9o is horrible

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol that explains why everyone's responses seemed so silly. Yeah, I mistook hero for UTG. Anyway, yeah I'd fold this here then and adjust my strategy until I had a hand that crushed his pushing range.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:06 PM

I figured I crushed his pushing range because he pushed almost every hand. I figured any pair, any ace, any king, any broadway, and any suited connector, or 1 gap connector above 45.

Now that I run it in Pstove, I am not exactly a favorite. Ish.

So, in the case of having this many BB's and high M, I shouldn't try to steal with subpar hands? At least against maniacal pushers, right? Against rocks this is the correct play every time right?

Find a better spot against a tough opponent I guess is the lesson.

Thanks for the help!

Results in white if you care...

<font color="white">Villian had 77, a race, I of course lost and collected my 3 bucks or some crap. </font>
Old 10-05-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

god this is such bad advice. i hope this is a level.

raising normally with K9o is fine here btw. fold to his push.

edit:

i see the poster misread stack sizes/bbs, so i'm glad he wasn't actually offering that advice.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:11 PM

he's prob using a STT/pushbot strategy that is correct at higher blinds. I think u might have to adjust and tighten up your opening stds. Opening this hand is not EV+, given your read, and given the fact that u can't/shouldn't call his reshove with K9o. My range for raising/calling a 3-bet shove here would prob be: 22+;A8s+;A8o+;KQs;KQo.