Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Are these lines correct?

First one is $6.50 Turbo 45 person Stars. Sorry no reads as I'm multitabling and playing turbos. Just need to check my lines.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t1180)
CO (t7185)
Button (t3500)
SB (t1025)
BB (t2290)
UTG (t5500)
MP1 (t2300)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t150, MP1 calls t150, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ?</font>

This is a push based on my M, even with the limper right?

And one more. This is a $5.50 normal speed 45 player on Stars. No reads yet as it's early still and I'm not sure what to do here....

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP1 (t3920)
MP2 (t1080)
MP3 (t945)
CO (t3835)
Hero (t1440)
SB (t1290)
BB (t920)
UTG (t1620)
UTG+1 (t1570)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t180</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t180, MP2 calls t180, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?</font>

What is this? Is it too early for a push, or does all the extra cold calls make it a push? Or should I smooth call and stop and go? Or just fold it.

Confused.
Thanks much for any help.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Are these lines correct?

Hand 1: Easiest push ever. Maybe 3rd easiest.

Hand 2: Tougher. Without a read on UTG I call and play post-flop WITH POSITION. With reads I'll call/fold/raise based on that.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:40 PM

Hand1: uggggggggh, drool, look at all that easy money in the middle and my AQo, boy I hope UTG calls with AJo here. Drool.

Hand2: With all the $ in the middle, it's hard not to fold, UTG's raise here is so suspiciously large that you could put him on a bunch of weak hands and you have position. I think you actually get value out of Arag here; yerrr suited, the pot is going to be big, which sucks, but I plan on calling and getting it in AI w/o reads if an A/Q high board/or flush draw comes out.

Barry
Old 10-05-2007, 12:46 PM

hand 1 the push is good
hand 2 i was going to say shove but then saw what the blinds were haha. so yeah call it and evaluate. im def getting it in the middle on an A/Q high board or a flushdraw
Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Thanks!

The first one I did push and was pretty sure that was the play, even with the limper. I just didn't have time to wait around with an M that low.

The second one, I was clueless. I am guessing the correct play is to just cold call on the button as I'll have position and a pretty decent soooooted hand. I guess I just got afraid of playing a little poker for some reason and pushed, even though I hated it so early in the tourney.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 PM

in the heat of the moment i might push AQ especially if the table has been very active and ive seen people stack off with Ax here a lot because thats a good amt in the middle... i wouldnt say its horrible but calling &gt; pushing
Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Shove the second. You're in reasonable shape agaisnt a 6x UTG raising range in a 6/45 and so get HU with the overlay.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:32 PM

Yeah first hand is an obvious push.

Even readless, the second hand's raiser really defines his hand. IMO, 6x raises indicate Jacks, Tens, rarely Nines, or possibly AK (less likely). None of those hands really crush you, so I would just shove and hope for a good flop. In most cases, it should be a coin flip with the cold caller and the blinds as overlay. Only fear is a cold call trap I guess.