Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: The final truth about down swings.

I agree as far as "poker" goes. But There is some psychology behind venting and being understood that comes into play.

I am a trial attorney who has tried a couple hundred of cases. Some times I lose, sometimes I win. When I win, I am sure that I am the smartest attorney on the planet. When I lose, I second guess myself, doubt myself, and become not very good in the courtroom.

Even when I make all the right decisions and lose, at the end, I lose confidence.

When losses pile up, whether it be poker or a trial or whatever, confidence fades. Decision making then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. When you doubt yourself and your ability, you are not at your best. When you are not at your best you WILL make bad decisions.

LOng sotry short...It is our job here, as part of this community, to help each other. Whether it be a leak in somoene's game, or a leak in someone's confidence it is all the same.

Even though those kind of posts seem cliche to most of us, it is still our job to give advice and help a fellow 2+2 er get npast whatever hangup they are facing
Old 09-22-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for this post. I'm in the middle of a truly horrendous downswing (500BB, not that anyone cares), and it helps to remind myself that I may not be completely at fault for it. I mean, I'm sure that I'm definitely responsible for part of it, but it helps my confidence level to remind myself that I'm not responsible for all of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

would i be correct in saying that a 500BB downswing would be something that the player would be LARGELY responsible for? can winning poker (tilt-free)really yield a 500 BB downswing? what game are you playing to get these type of results?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would i be correct in saying that a 500BB downswing would be something that the player would be LARGELY responsible for? can winning poker (tilt-free)really yield a 500 BB downswing? what game are you playing to get these type of results?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not correct, and most definitely yes. If you haven't had a big downswing, you most likely haven't played enough hands against tough opposition yet. Heck, they don't even have to be tough if your luck turns really bad.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:24 PM

Judging by some of the recent threads in this forum I though some of you might benefit from the bumping of this thread. I hope you read the whole thread. Some great points and counter-points are made the whole way through.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:26 AM

When you play, you have no control over the cards, other players, or the randomness of probability. The part that is so terrible is refusing to believe we all lose and listening to our ego tell us how unfair it all is.

Baseball, basketball, most sports do not have dominating winners, neither does poker. Losing isn't brutal, it is part of the game, that is what the op is writing about.

Learn the game well, accept what happens and you can have a okay time even when losing because you know it is only temporary.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to campaign for the reality of the situation here. Every day I see tons of threads about "running bad" and "down swings". More and more 2+2ers seem to be feeling sorry for themselves whenever the cards just don't seem to be falling they way they would like. They want to know if it will end. They want to know what to do next. They want to quit poker all together. The truth of the situation is they might as well quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You amaze me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just wait till you hit a dry streak so dry you can't climb out of a hole for 6 months after winning for a year and half. Then come back and re-read your thread.

The reason people cry about badbeats and feel sorry for themselves, is because we are emotional human beings.

You are telling people to quit? What are you, some sorta bigshot?

You going to tell a suicidal person to jump? That's exactly what you're doing to poker players.

Grow up and for god's sake, don't reply or bump this thread, perhaps bookmark it and look at it in a year or two and realize how immature you were back in the day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2006, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to campaign for the reality of the situation here. Every day I see tons of threads about "running bad" and "down swings". More and more 2+2ers seem to be feeling sorry for themselves whenever the cards just don't seem to be falling they way they would like. They want to know if it will end. They want to know what to do next. They want to quit poker all together. The truth of the situation is they might as well quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You amaze me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just wait till you hit a dry streak so dry you can't climb out of a hole for 6 months after winning for a year and half. Then come back and re-read your thread.

The reason people cry about badbeats and feel sorry for themselves, is because we are emotional human beings.

You are telling people to quit? What are you, some sorta bigshot?

You going to tell a suicidal person to jump? That's exactly what you're doing to poker players.

Grow up and for god's sake, don't reply or bump this thread, perhaps bookmark it and look at it in a year or two and realize how immature you were back in the day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably read the rest of the thread. It's actually pretty informative for many players. Not to mention some links referenced in it.

This thread should be bumped about every 6 months.

b
Old 11-13-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing poker for years. Much of that time I've been playing for a living. I've been there, done that, and seen nearly everything. Including downswings.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you there, but it doesn't mean it's right thing to do. I'm not a very emotional person. I think in terms of logic and don't feel sorry for those who don't/can't.

[ QUOTE ]
You are telling people to quit?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm telling those who can't deal with downswings and bad beats to consider quitting. If nothing else for the sake of their emotional well being. If they can get over it then play on. We have many young posters on this forum that will probably solve much of their emothional problems as they grow up and mature.

[ QUOTE ]
What are you, some sorta bigshot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have developed a reputation of being honest, logical, and reliable (as far as providing solid/accurate advice) on this site and in many other cricles. You and the other members can decide if that makes me a "bigshot".

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a correlation there at all. I'm telling a suicidal person to get off the edge to the side of saftey. Telling someone who can't handle the inevitable down swings and bad beats to continue playing would be more like telling them to jump.

[ QUOTE ]
Grow up and for god's sake, don't reply or bump this thread, perhaps bookmark it and look at it in a year or two and realize how immature you were back in the day

[/ QUOTE ]

I offer that same advice to you and every other sobbing member of Two Plus Two.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What are you, some sorta bigshot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have developed a reputation of being honest, logical, and reliable (as far as providing solid/accurate advice) on this site and in many other cricles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll 2nd this. Deacs done alot of great stuff on here.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm telling those who can't deal with downswings and bad beats to consider quitting. If nothing else for the sake of their emotional well being. If they can get over it then play on. We have many young posters on this forum that will probably solve much of their emothional problems as they grow up and mature.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think one thing Deac might be saying is not necessarily 'quitting' but not to take the game so serious if you can't handle those swings for reasons he mentioned. If you can't seperate it or get over it and at least have some fun, then I agree one should quit. Not sure if I said that right.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a very emotional person. I think in terms of logic and don't feel sorry for those who don't/can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference between feeling sorry for someone and empathizing with them. I don't feel sorry for anyone who gets bad beat. Poker happens. But someone going through a bad swing(especially the first time) I can empathize a little with(granted they're playing well or trying to play well. I don't really feel anything for those that voluntarily suck and are going through a bad run.)

b
Old 11-13-2006, 06:34 PM

I haven't read the replies to this thread, but what you say is pretty much common sense...but it's good to verbalize it occasionally.

However, I do believe that there is some value in venting as long as it doesn't perpetuate your attitude for the worse. Breaks are also of value if your mental state is not in the condition to be in action in the first place; that is, if you're past whatever that personal pain threshold is.

I guess the problem with being human is that what might make perfect logical sense might not matter too much in the present. I suppose that experience breaks through for some eventually. Once you've ride rollercoasters enough, you should eventually get used to varying twists and the turns. Perhaps some people never get used to it, but getting upset, bummed out, etc., losing a few bucks because of downswings does get old. A bad run is a part of gambling after all.

Edit: Didn't realize that was an older post, otherwise I might not have responded. Whoops.