Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Bay Area players Unite!

I haven't played in one of these either but you're right - the spread is so great that this is virtually NL; no adjustments need be made. I think that it is set up that way due to city regulations allowing only a set number (1? 2?) NL tournaments during the year, and the spread limit nature exploits a loophole.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:48 PM

I played in this last sunday. The play there is HORRIBLE!

I had one guy at my tbale who would continually go all in pre flop with garbage like 85o and 54o.

With regards to the rebuy, I usually wait a bit to rebuy. I use it kind of like an insurance policy instead of rebuying right away. If my original stack gets below about 50% then I will rebuy also.

Overall if you play a tight aggresive game then you should have no trouble making money off these idiots. Last year I played in over 30 of these tournies and seemed to cash in at least 1/3 of them as well as a 2nd place finish.

I highly reccomend anybody playing in this game as long as you can stay up until 5am on a work night.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:13 PM

It's nice to see no one ventures as far east as Tracy. I get the whole cardroom to myself. Yeah, all three tables. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've shot a supbro? across the table once or twice when I suspected a strange villian might be one of us, but luckily, haven't run into any 2+2ers out here.

No blinds. $4 on the button. Jackpot is usually between 10-15k. Best kept low limit fishing hole secret this side of the Altamont. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

PM me if anyone gets out this way.

Onaflag.........
Old 07-29-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Garden City or Bay 101 Friday 7/29

I'm tempted to go try it out (never played at either before but I'm local). Bankroll's no prob but I'm a NL SNG player so just bringing mostly common sense and light reading from SSHE to the table. Is 2/4 just as bad as 3/6 so I should stick with 3/6 to minimize the rake impact? I read on the poker wiki someone recommended that past 11pm on Fri/Sat at Garden City is ripe. Any other thoughts/recommendations for the immediate area (or which is favorable between the two)?
Old 07-30-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Garden City or Bay 101 Friday 7/29

[ QUOTE ]
Is 2/4 just as bad as 3/6 so I should stick with 3/6 to minimize the rake impact? I read on the poker wiki someone recommended that past 11pm on Fri/Sat at Garden City is ripe. Any other thoughts/recommendations for the immediate area (or which is favorable between the two)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It must be very hard to beat the 2/4 game when they're taking 1BB out of every flopped pot. The play at either room will fit the SSHE style up until at least 6/12, usually 8/16 and often 20/40 as well. It would still make sense to start at 3/6 to get a feel for a live limit game and you should know pretty quickly how you stack up against the competition. If/when comfortable, you might want to consider giving a higher limit a shot if bankroll allows.

Bay101 is newer and more spacious than Garden City. The games at either should be about the same; they are ripe pretty much 24/7. You'll need to play Bay101 once you progress past 20/40, though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Good luck!
Old 07-30-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Garden City or Bay 101 Friday 7/29

I played the Bay101 6-12 game lastnight. I got there about 7pm and had to wait about 30 minutes for a seat. Some people had their names up for 3-6 for hours, they were saying, and still couldn't get a seat. 6-12 was typical SSH. Many flops had 6 players and some showdowns were multiway. There were periods of tightness, but it never lasted very long.

I faired decently over 10 hours of play but ended down 15BB. I couldn't hit a set or complete a flush/straight to save my life. Didn't matter too much though because you get paid off with the smaller pots to keep your head above water. All it would have taken is one or two flushes to complete (and not get aces cracked twice) to have made it a very profitable night.

Onaflag...........

PS...I was the fat red haired goateed guy with the blond ponytail on table 33 if anyone was around.........
Old 07-31-2005, 03:00 PM

Default AJ\'s saturday

Just as a word of warning to some of the underaged. I was carded at Artichoke Joe's Saturday (Im 27 and dont get carded at bars often). This was the first time this has happened there in about a dozen trips. I was going to go to Bay 101 but I didnt know if the race would have traffic jammed in San Jose. Maybe next week.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:12 PM

Default PLO8 home game in the fall...?

Hey, there's four of us so far who play PLO8 online regularly (me, Gergery, emptyshell, and another guy who's posting name i don't remember) who are planning to round up a home game for some PLO8 late Aug/early Sept. A "dead game" we're trying to bring back to life.

Just trying to get a feel for interest at this point, drop me a PM if you want more info as we get this together... will probably go down in the East Bay.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently in LA but I'll be coming up north to go to school in Davis in Sep, which means no more Commerce [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Where's the best place up there to play 40/80 - 100/200?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read the whole thread, but it seems from the few replies on the first page or two that LA has much better game selection than the Bay area?

I don't know anything about the live poker offered in these areas, but am also interested in where you can play higher limits live.

Nigel
Old 08-03-2005, 02:38 PM

I'm gonna be at Lucky Chances this evening, anyone else interested?