Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Re: ***Official Weird Animal Thread***

Ok. Sorry. I know next to nothing about guns. I knew that .50 is a decent size but when I saw it was a pistol and it took him so many shots I assumed it was undersized for the job. Nonetheless his father is an a-hole for not finishing the job when he saw his son was only torturing the pig.

And to be clear I normally have nothing against game hunters. I prefer that they are doing it for the meat and not for trophys though.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're common (we've had them in our back garden in the past), but still, hedgehogs are weird.

Note: video link with sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPhpsIK7pDc&NR=1

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife has a pet African Hedgehog:

We used to have an albino as well, but we gave him away:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty cool -- what kind of pets do they make?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:39 PM

I agree that it was a cruel kill, but they did say they were going to make like 700 pounds of sausages out of him, so at least it wasn't a total waste.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is pretty cool -- what kind of pets do they make?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're nocturnal, and very much like hamsters. She works in day care, so she would take them for the kids to play with all the time. The big thing about hedgehogs is buying them from a breeder. They're twice the price, but the ones from a pet store are not used to people touching them, so just curl up in a ball whenever you go near them. Ours were both very friendly, and not scared of people.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 PM

I just ran across this...it just get weirder. Poor Fred. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

From Minneapolis Star Tribune

Associated Press

Last update: June 01, 2007 – 8:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FRUITHURST, Ala. — The huge hog that became known as "Monster Pig" after being hunted and killed by an 11-year-old boy had another name: Fred.

The not-so-wild pig had been raised on an Alabama farm and was sold to the Lost Creek Plantation just four days before it was shot there in a 150-acre fenced area, the animal's former owner said.

Phil Blissitt told The Anniston Star in a story Friday that he bought the 6-week-old pig in December 2004 as a Christmas gift for his wife, Rhonda, and that they sold it after deciding to get rid of all the pigs at their farm.

"I just wanted the truth to be told. That wasn't a wild pig," Rhonda Blissitt said.

Jamison Stone shot the huge hog during what he and his father described as a three-hour chase. They said it was more than 1,000 pounds and 9 feet long; if anything, it looked even bigger in a now-famous photo of the hunter and the hunted.

Mike Stone said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press on Friday that he had been under the impression that the hog was wild, not farm-raised.

Telephone messages left Friday with Eddy Borden, the owner of Lost Creek Plantation, were not immediately returned.

Stone said state wildlife officials told him that it is not unusual for hunting preserves to buy farm-raised hogs and that the hogs are considered feral once they are released.

Stone said he and his son met Blissitt on Friday morning to get more details about the hog. Blissitt said that he had about 15 hogs and decided to sell them for slaughter, but that no one would buy that particular animal because it was too big for slaughter or breeding, Stone said.

Blissitt said that the pig had become a nuisance and that visitors were often frightened by it, Stone said.

"He was nice enough to tell my son that the pig was too big and needed killing," Stone said. "He shook Jamison's hand and said he did not kill the family pet."

The Blissitts said they didn't know the hog that was hunted was Fred until they were contacted by a game warden for the Alabama Department of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries. The agency determined that no laws were violated in the hunt.

Phil Blissitt said he became irritated when he learned that some thought the photo of Fred was doctored.

"That was a big hog," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Jamison Stone poses May 29 next to the skull of an average-sized hog, left, and the skull of the 1,051-pound hog he killed. The monster hog gained worldwide acclaim after it was harvested by Stone, a Pickensville, Ala., native, with a .50-caliber pistol on May 3 at the Lost Creek Plantation, a hunting preserve in Delta, Ala.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-02-2007, 12:10 AM

This is a Liger, cross between a male lion and female tiger.

These animals can become bigger than either of their parents and are the largest 'cats' (?)
Old 06-02-2007, 12:32 AM

And we all know what they're bred for.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can imagine what picture would be posted here 100 times if this was bbv

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse

My nomination is the seahorse, the only known animal where the males give birth to the young

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought they were really bizarre and cool creatures.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pacman Frog

eats mouse

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird looking frog. Frogs are some of the odder creatures around anyhow.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 AM

Just saw this on msn. Supposedly the cat can get up to 30 pounds. Given the origins, I wonder about their demeanor.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18965940?GT1=10056

[ QUOTE ]

But one company, banking on the fact there are more than a few prospective pet owners willing to part with some serious ka-ching for a kitten, is selling a designer breed of cat that costs $22,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The pricey pet is said to have been produced by cross-breeding an African Serval and an Asian Leopard Cat with a domestic feline

[/ QUOTE ]