Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Push with QQ vs 40/20/oo
Yes 9 40.91%
No 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Vote for new software!

So I made a post earlier ( Here ) about a poker tool I think would be great to have. I e-mailed Poker Academy about it (see below) and they said basically that they would be interested in making it if they thought it would be commercial enough. The way you can help me convince them it is, is by voting in this post!

Here is my letter and poker academys reply:

<font color="red"> My mail </font>
Hi PA!!

I have been disussing an interesting software on the 2+2 forum that I know the
limit comunity would o crazy about (we are all nerds [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=0#Post12132967

Since u are the leading poker software company I thought it could be somethng
for guys.

Here's how I described it:

'What I mean is a more advanced version of poker stove. This is how it should
work roughly: You chose ur hand and the board. You put your opp on a range and
choose different strategies for different part of his range (for instance he
CR/call/check/call etc. with this group of hands etc). Then you should be able
to run villains strategy against different lines and see which one is most +EV.
It would of course take a long time to program an excact villain strategy
(weighted with probability), but a rough estimate would usually be enough. If
this would be too hard what about one street?'

Notice that it is not a bot I'm talking about, but an analyzing tool. Check the
thread for more ideas. Here's one comment:

'i think generally if i wrote this tool it would expose TONS of leaks in my
game. i would literally be unstoppable.

also i would never ever sell it. its far far more valuable than you think
pokerbob.

if someone wrote one that was good enough (i would have to try it first) i
would gladly pay several hundred for it'

I really hope you make this software. Good luck!

<font color="red"> PA's reply</font>
It's a great suggestion and I think it is a very good piece of software. I am
not sure it would be viable enough to release as commercial software however.
The biggest problem with this is that people would not be willing to specify
their opponent's strategy and in the case of multiplayer games all of their
opponents' strategies and the user interface for specifying these strategies is
difficult to display in both an easy to use and yet powerful manner.

FWIW, I wrote this software a few times in various forms in the past. For
example, Vexbot uses this calculation to figure out how to play against its
opponent using a model it builds of its opponent. Maybe I could find some spare
time to clean it up and slap on a UI prototype and see if it can be
commercialized. No promises though.

Thanks for thinking of us and I will monitor that thread to keep an eye on the
interest level. I may chime in there if I think I have something useful to add.

Terence.

--
Poker Academy Support
support@poker-academy.com
http://www.poker-academy.com/

<font color="red"> So if u want it u gonna have to tell them so!!! </font>
Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Vote for new software!

I would certaintly buy it and spend a decent some of money on it if it were easy enough to use.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM

i dont think its in the interest of current high stakes winners for this software to be available.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont think its in the interest of current high stakes winners for this software to be available.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is! The whole idea is pretty silly, really. First, it would only be useful if, at a MINIMUM: (a) a top top LHE player did the programming, or at least all the analysis that went into the programming; and (b) you could enter lots and lots of variables (e.g., for starters, many of the stats available in PAHUD). Otherwise all you're getting is some ridiculously stylized output. This might help someone playing 2/4 but would if anything be counterproductive at 200/400 where winning more than a little is only possible with creative play that takes into account all kinds of variables, tendencies, etc., etc. Math plays only a very small part.

So go ahead. Knock yerselves out. All this will create is an army of players who can't think for themselves and will be easily exploitable.

And -- sorry if this sounds a little bit arrogant -- but that's kind of like what these forums have done. [Other than Schneids, how many very successful higher stakes (100/200+) players post real strategy on a regular basis? There's a reason for that, and the absence of that input is pretty glaring in the advice given in most threads]
Old 09-21-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is! The whole idea is pretty silly, really. First, it would only be useful if, at a MINIMUM: (a) a top top LHE player did the programming, or at least all the analysis that went into the programming; and (b) you could enter lots and lots of variables (e.g., for starters, many of the stats available in PAHUD). Otherwise all you're getting is some ridiculously stylized output. This might help someone playing 2/4 but would if anything be counterproductive at 200/400 where winning more than a little is only possible with creative play that takes into account all kinds of variables, tendencies, etc., etc. Math plays only a very small part.

So go ahead. Knock yerselves out. All this will create is an army of players who can't think for themselves and will be easily exploitable.

And -- sorry if this sounds a little bit arrogant -- but that's kind of like what these forums have done. [Other than Schneids, how many very successful higher stakes (100/200+) players post real strategy on a regular basis? There's a reason for that, and the absence of that input is pretty glaring in the advice given in most threads]

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably miss Victor's point. You want this stuff before you become highly skilled. After you are, you then wish there were no tools that will allow lesser skilled players reach your level easily.

I would like this software. But I am not a big winner at very high levels. If I were then I also would not like to see stuff like this come out.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are corrrect that this software won't create any world stars. I will never be able to beat Schneids, TLK, Dean, or urself no matter what software I have (excpet for a perfect bot of course). It is also correct that if u use this software in a bad way (ie trust the numbers too much) it may damage ur game.

But I have no doubt whatsoever that for a beginning-medium skilled player this tool would be absolutely awesome and much more useful than any other 'training' software (PT is another story) that currently exists.

I also believe even world class players would have some use for it. Don't forget IF u have analyzed all the psychology correctly, all that reamains is a math problem that is still often very hard to solve. That's when the line-analyzer comes to play.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, because they obviously don't want any changes at all. But that's no problem for poker academy. Because IF the software was available I think most of the high stakes pros would be smart enough to understand the need to buy it. It must be worth a bb if all ur opps have it?