Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: *Official* Philadelphia E-A-G-L-E-S Thread (2007-2008)

[ QUOTE ]
I think Kolb booing would be construed as booing the Eagles management, not cheering McNabb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. Kolb is a very good QB, despite what you hear on ESPN and from Mel Kiper.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:43 AM

how many games is the over/under for this to happen?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
McNabb is the third best quarterback in the NFL and best in the NFC.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Marc Bulger and Drew Brees say hello.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd tell Marc to sit down and Drew Brees is close IMO.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
McNabb is the third best quarterback in the NFL and best in the NFC.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Marc Bulger and Drew Brees say hello.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd tell Marc to sit down and Drew Brees is close IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
marc bulger had just one interception halfway through last season...also clearly including injuries in all this, mcnabb hasnt played a full season in 2 years. mcnabb is not better than bulger or brees, accuracy over thrw power always
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McNabb is the third best quarterback in the NFL and best in the NFC. Westbrook is the third best back in the NFC. That doesn't mean either of those things will happen, but they are not in the least bit far-fetched.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like McNabb a lot, but you have to admit that the Eagles have played surprisingly well without him when hes injured. Either their backups are great or McNabb maybe isn't as good as we all think.

Oh and regardless of that, Drew Brees needs to be in that conversation.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like McNabb a lot, but you have to admit that the Eagles have played surprisingly well without him when hes injured. Either their backups are great or McNabb maybe isn't as good as we all think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that 2005 sure was a banner year for the Eagles.

Seriously though, in 2002 (AJ Feeley), the team was still carried by the defense. That was the last year the Eagles had a better defense than offense. McNabb and the offense made the leap in 2003, and have been better than the defense every year since except the irrelevant 2005 season that never happened. McNabb was good back in 2002, but not nearly as good as he is now, and the defense carried AJ.

Last year, Garcia inherited a really, really good team that was just running bad under McNabb. Garcia played great, sure, but any moderately good quarterback could have won a bunch of games with that team.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brees is right there with Bulger and McNabb. Bulger really had a great year last year, and McNabb was having a great year till...yeah. They're some order of 1-2-3 in the NFC, and there's a solid dropoff after them until Hasselbeck.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this game on national TV tonight? I'd like to see Kolb in the 2nd half.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really wish he got his first snap in Philly, so I could listen to the smattering of boos. I really hope McNabb starts for us for another 6+ years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the point of this post. First of all, it isn't Kolb's fault he got drafted "high". Second of all, you people booed McNabb on draft day and he's fukin awesome. Third of all, whether or not McNabb is one of the best QB's in the league, you should still hope to develop a top-notch backup (or maybe you don't remember as far back as 2006?). Fourth of all, if McNabb stays healthy and plays at this level for the next 6 years, sure, he should start. But if Kolb (or anyone else) does better at some point, you should want the best option in there.

But good post. Just loaded with pertinent information.

[/ QUOTE ]

90% of Philly fans are just idiots I've found. They're ridiculous homers on one hand, and then on the other hand they berate their own players even when its clear that their booing is hurting their team. There are a few exceptions, including a few very good posters on this board that are Philly fans.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:25 PM

i have to say also my initial knock last season against mcnabb was he had no one to throw to after TO left. Then they got stallworth. now stallworth is gone, and the eagles didnt even draft a WR. They picked up kevin curtis who def has potential, but is he better than a #2 or #3 receiver? and is reggie brown really the number 1 despite having just 800 yards in his best year?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that 2005 sure was a banner year for the Eagles.

Seriously though, in 2002 (AJ Feeley), the team was still carried by the defense. That was the last year the Eagles had a better defense than offense. McNabb and the offense made the leap in 2003, and have been better than the defense every year since except the irrelevant 2005 season that never happened. McNabb was good back in 2002, but not nearly as good as he is now, and the defense carried AJ.

Last year, Garcia inherited a really, really good team that was just running bad under McNabb. Garcia played great, sure, but any moderately good quarterback could have won a bunch of games with that team.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brees is right there with Bulger and McNabb. Bulger really had a great year last year, and McNabb was having a great year till...yeah. They're some order of 1-2-3 in the NFC, and there's a solid dropoff after them until Hasselbeck.

[/ QUOTE ]

nfl.com game logs only go back to 2001, so I must start the analysis there....

2001- McNabb played all 16 games and went 11-5

2002- Eagles went 7-3 with McNabb. They then went 5-1 without McNabb(and the loss was in week 17 which may have been meaningless...I'm not sure)

2003- McNabb played every game and went 12-4

2004- McNabb played 15 games and went 13-2. They lost the one game he didn't play.

2005- McNabb played 9 games and went 4-5. They went 2-5 without him.

2006- McNabb played 10 games and went 5-5. They went 5-1 wihtout him.

So basically there were 3 seasons in which McNabb missed significant time: 2002, 2005, and 2006. In those years they went 16-13 with him and 12-7 without him.

Bottom line: The Eagles have shown virtually no change record wise when playing with Mcnabb when compared to playing without him. Furthermore, there is a significant sample size in these seasons(29 games with him and 19 without him) that it can't be deemed short term luck totally.

With all that said, I like him a lot both as a player and a person and would love to have him on any of my teams.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have to say also my initial knock last season against mcnabb was he had no one to throw to after TO left. Then they got stallworth. now stallworth is gone, and the eagles didnt even draft a WR. They picked up kevin curtis who def has potential, but is he better than a #2 or #3 receiver? and is reggie brown really the number 1 despite having just 800 yards in his best year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Their WR are a good margin better than the James Thrash/Todd Pinkston years. Reggie Brown has improved each of the last 2 years. I don't really know much about Curtis other than his speed was a 96 on madden last year so he must be fast. Hank Baskett had a good year for an undrafted rookie. Westbrook is one of the best pass catching RBs in the league as well.