Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Incident at Wynn

A guy bumps into you in the hallway. You say "cant you say excuse me?". He says " I did say excuse me". You say "no, you didnt"....and you commence to having a big argument.

You see how childish this is? Is exactly the same thing.

Doesnt anyone have any people skills anymore? Jesus, this is ridiculously childish on both peoples part.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 AM

A technique I like with difficult people:

"blahblahblahblahblahblahblah"

"Okay."

"Blahblahblahblahblah!"

"Okay."

"BLAH! BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAHBLAHBLAH!"

"Okay."
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 AM

I agree it's childish, and that a lot of people don't have people skills, but dealers are in a difficult position. Normal people skill techniques don't work. Why is that? Because normal techniques include the move of walking away. The problem people know they have a trapped target. Yes, at the end of the day it's minor, and I'm usually somewhat ashamed of myself for letting a problem customer irritate me. At the same time, it can be rather trying having to deal with someone berating you, rallying others not to like you, splashing the pot, holding up action, and criticizing everything you do or don't do. Trying to "out-play" the person is a bad idea, and doing what you'd do outisde of the table (ie, walk away) isn't an option. Problem people view ANY reaction as an invitation for more abuse. The best resposne is none at all, but none of us are perfect.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 PM

real question of the day - did you discuss what you witnessed with the floor after so they can have a chat with the dealer?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Re: dealer\'s fault

This is the dealer's fault all the way.

When I receive a tip, I say very clearly and nice + loud "thank you." It should be obvious to a bystander that the dealer thanked the player for a tip. There should be NO doubt or debate on the matter. One day a tourist told me that while most dealers say thanks, that when I said thank uou it really seemed like I meant it. I told her I DO really mean it! We make barely over minimum wage, no tips equals no eats.

This concept of thanking the players does not hold much importance here in vegas, which is a travesty. Every room in town has lots of dealers that don't say anything, they just quickly pocket the chip like they are entitled to it, or they barely say a pathetic thank you. Their room managers should be firing their assess, but we all know corporate vegas is not concerned with poker.

The wynn has some good floors and dealers, but they also have a bunch of arrogant schmucks that think they know all (but they DON'T). Some of their staff also seems to actually believe that their own chit doesn't stink. It does. This yahoo continuiug an arguement deserves a kick in the nuts.

Al
Old 06-06-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their room managers should be firing their assess, but we all know corporate vegas is not concerned with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The room managers aren't part of the corporate structure and are the exact ones who *should* be making the firing decisions. The problem is that there are a whole lot of room Directors and Managers that aren't as strong as one would hope.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 PM

1) A like dealers who DON'T say thank you in a loud fashion. It is amateurish and looks a solicitation for further toking. I train dealers to not slam the chip against the rail and yell thank you. Soft is the best, no question. Most players appreciate that.

2) I have always been an advocate for dealers not being abused. This is obviously a case of dealer abuse. While I do not like dealers slowing the game down to take on a player, I always error on the side of the dealer not being abused by player.

3) Where was the floor to put a stop to the abuse??

It sounds like to me the simple and obvious solution is the floor interceding and saying to the player "Sir/Maam, if you cannot leave the dealer alone, you can rack it up and leave"

Easy.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) I have always been an advocate for dealers not being abused. This is obviously a case of dealer abuse. While I do not like dealers slowing the game down to take on a player, I always error on the side of the dealer not being abused by player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't abuse. This is a dealer totally failing to defuse the situation with a simply "I thought I said thank you, but if I didn't, 'thank you sir'."

Real simple. Geting into a did so, did not, did so, did not with a customer is really poor.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't abuse. This is a dealer totally failing to defuse the situation with a simply "I thought I said thank you, but if I didn't, 'thank you sir'."

Real simple. Geting into a did so, did not, did so, did not with a customer is really poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect suggestion. People who work for tips should always take the customer's side: against the world; against management; against themselves. This dealer just doesn't "get" who's paying his salary, or what is wanted from him.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be obvious to a bystander that the dealer thanked the player for a tip. There should be NO doubt or debate on the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but when you push a large pot to a player who quickly tosses a tip and immediately turns and starts talking to the guy next to him about the hand, HE MAY NOT HEAR YOU, simply because his attention is elsewhere.