Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Tribute to the Greatest Television Show Ever: The State

I pretty much grew up watching this show and my friends and I still reference it all the time in our conversations. However, I havent heard a non-my friend person mention this show in over 5 years.

Ben Garant, Thomas Lennon and Kerri Kenney-Silver, who acted on the state, are all characters on Reno 911!

Most of the cast was in Wet Hot American Summer and they also did the shortly lived comedy central show "Viva Variety".

The show was a sketch comedy but way more off the wall than SNL or anything like that as you can see from a few excerpts below. Anyone else have any awesome memories of the state?

Louie, played by Ken Marino, was one of the more ironic characters on the show, parodying sketch comedy characters who rely on stupid catchphrases for cheap laughs. Louie was a genial fellow with a strong desire to dip his "balls" (actual golf balls, not testicles, although the innuendo was certainly intentional) in various things. His catchphrase, naturally, is a very enthusiastic "I wanna dip my balls in it!"

* Capt. Monterey Jack, a nonsense-spewing motivational speaker (a parody of similar anti-drug or alcohol abuse spots aired on MTV at the time) played by Michael Ian Black. "And remember, bbbbring, bbbring... Hello, cheese? NO! Cheese can't dial a phone."

* James Dixon, a conniving, hard-driving ex-Hollywood agent who lands himself very unlikely careers (high school guidance counselor, Catholic priest, Jedi talent agent) and applies his showbiz tactics to his new positions (Thomas Lennon). "You can't bargain with God. But you can bargain with me, and I can bargain with God."

Monkey Torture (aka "The Barry Lutz Show"), in which scientist Thomas Lennon describes his experiments involving the (mostly psychological) torture of monkeys to interviewer Michael Ian Black, saying that he has proven that "They hate it." youtube of Monkey Torture Sketch

Barry and Levon, suave swingers of ambiguous sexual orientation, played by Thomas Lennon and Michael Ian Black, respectively. Their most notable moment was a skit in which they had purchased and prepared $240 worth of pudding, which sat in a pile that they proceeded to sweet-talk and dance with. $240 Dollars worth of Pudding
Old 08-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Tribute to the Greatest Television Show Ever: The State

I used to watch that show all the time. According to their Myspace page, the series is coming out on DVD soon.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:31 PM

Welcome back, horseboy...
Old 08-30-2007, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I've been meaning to watch these for a while. I love a lot of what these guys have done, but was unaware of the shows existence when it was around. Aren't most of them in a movie that's coming out soon? The Ten I think. OK, I'll just Google it.

Looks like it's out there. Maybe I'll go see it this weekend. imdb link
Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 PM

Season 1 is available at the iTunes store. Be warned though that some of the music used in sketches is different than the original run.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Season 1 is available at the iTunes store. Be warned though that some of the music used in sketches is different than the original run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy imo.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome back, horseboy...

[/ QUOTE ]
I was wondering what he got banned for, and this is a, uh, provocative insight into it
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM

OMG DVDS.

The State rules so hard.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, the "Pants" sketch isn't the same without "Last Splash".
Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the "Pants" sketch isn't the same without "Cannonball".

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I bought the first 5 episodes on itunes. It is odd to hear the different music. Apparently, the music you get on itunes was actually the original music, but MTV wanted to promote its own music, so it edited in the stuff we saw.

Other awesome skits:

Chip's party
Inbred brothers
Bologna feet
Staring contest

I just looked at the episode guide online - too many to name.

I love this show. I can't wait for the DVDs.