Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Credit card blocks

What exactly is blocking the transactions for credit cards online? I knew a long time ago that most credit cards don't work. Today was the day I decided to dig into this issue.

Stars states it could be because of the internet gaming restrictions. No one at my credit card company has a clue. There are no blocks on my card that they know of. They claim there isn't any middle man between them and any merchant. So what is blocking the transactions?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Credit card blocks

[ QUOTE ]
No one at my credit card company has a clue. There are no blocks on my card that they know of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking to the credit card company (such as Visa) or to the issuing bank (such as Citibank)? The issuing bank is the one blocking transactions. If they tell you they aren't, then either the customer service rep you are talking to is lying, or the bank is keeping the customer service rep in the the dark.

The only other link in the chain is the company that proves the merchant account to Stars or whoever. If they were blocking transactions, Stars would know, and would change their merchant account.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 PM

I'm talking to the issuing bank. They don't know when I try to make a deposit and get declined.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking to the issuing bank. They don't know when I try to make a deposit and get declined.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

The issuing bank is the one that makes the restriction, and a normal customer service rep would not really be able to tell you much. The account restriction is done by batch for the banks own BIN's, perhaps not all of them just those identified by the bank as being a risk.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:40 AM

Gaming transactions are coded 7995. Your bank (and most US banks) block 7995 transactions. When a 7995 transaction is sent to your bank it is auto declined. All CC transactions have a code that depends on the type of goods or service being provided.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gaming transactions are coded 7995. Your bank (and most US banks) block 7995 transactions. When a 7995 transaction is sent to your bank it is auto declined. All CC transactions have a code that depends on the type of goods or service being provided.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I call my bank and explain this to them so I can get some results?

Oddly enough I was told to check out mastersecurecode.com, but I couldn't tell what to do after that.

Thank you
Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 PM

It is very unlikely your bank will change their mind regardless of whether you wantto make these transactions, especially with the regulations.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:15 PM

Thanks, and I suppose people would have already taken action on this matter if they could.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, and I suppose people would have already taken action on this matter if they could.

[/ QUOTE ]
It seems that a lot of people who work at the banks are unaware of their own restrictions - it was the case pre UIGEA and will be post. I guess banking is too complicated a business for a random CSR to understand it all - presumably once they do they get promoted somewhere. I've found that if you end up talking to a manager, they know what's going on.