Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 AM

Default Can You Be A Great SNG & Tournament but Suck @ Cash Games?

I've been trying to figure out the gap in my game. It "feels" like I'm unlucky in cash games...but I believe good poker players create their own luck. So I know it's something going on within me. I consistently get sucked out on the river. Now going into this you should know my bankroll sucks so I don't play no limit cash games... I play limit. Is it possible I just am not adjusting to limit play? Any suggestions to help with that? I consistently place in the top 10% in tournaments online and I consistently make the money in my SNG's. I'm pretty happy with the advancement of my skills in that area. Also, I'm a woman. I"feel" like in some ways being a lady at live games is a disadvantage. Either men perceive you as being too tight and give no action or they think you're an air head and will call no matter what. So maybe it's an image problem? Just some meandering thoughts from a better than average tournament player looking to improve all aspects of her game. TIA
Old 07-29-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Can You Be A Great SNG & Tournament but Suck @ Cash Games?

BTW that should read SNG & Tournament PLAYER. It's late at night. Sorry.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:03 AM

Sure, in tournaments you can/do win by doing nothing. Not the whole thing. You move up every time someone knocks another player out. Cash game has no such benefit.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:09 AM

Going from NL to Limit can be like a completely different game. No wonder you're having trouble.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:18 AM

That's exactly what I feel like... like I'm playing a totally different game. I think I'll stay away from limit for awhile. I don't think I'm doing well in tournaments by default, although my "bubble" play isn't half bad. I was in a freeroll qualifier and I was in the situation where if I did absolutely nothing while the blinds went up I still qualified. Got in huge argument with a poker friend because I told him even with AA I would fold. There is no benefit to me to risk my chips at that time. Anyway it's nice to know it isn't just me. Also, if I'm being 100% honest with myself I think part of it is my fault. It's much easier for me to wrap my brain around playing my chips correctly when they are "just" chips. I have a harder time in cash games when my chips are my money. I know I have to get over that, but psychologically I think that's where I'm at. I don't have any poker psych books, all of my stuff is poker strategy. I think I'm going to pick some up. Any suggestions?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I'm doing well in tournaments by default

[/ QUOTE ]Didn't mean it that way. It's a different game. You move up when people bust, by definition. Clearly you need to win pots to survive/win/cash. The transition from NL tournament to limit cash is huge. Both are versions of Hold'Em poker, but similar situations are infrequent at best.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 AM

Thanks Vix. I see what you meant now. When I play tournaments I have flashbacks sometimes of a game of war I used to play with my Dad called "Risk". Sometimes you lose some to showdown and be perceived a certain way to win later...etc. I don't have the same strategy "I'm in control" feeling when I play limit cash. I feel like I'm playing blackjack. I'm obviously not running the table. I don't know what I'm doing differently, but I'm obviously doing something differently. It's an interesting thing poker. It's like adulthood. The more I know the more I know I don't know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2007, 04:28 AM

Absolutely you can be a good sng player but a horrible cash game player. If you're having trouble with low stakes limit cash games you have to buy small stakes holdem: winning big with expert play. Just reading this should make you a break even player at the small stakes. I'm a decent sng and mtt player but horrible at cash games. My weakness with cash games is that I get bored, play too long, and suffer tilt and then the inevitable bank roll spewage follows. I can play sngs and mtts for hours but cash games bore the [censored] out of me.

You can also be very good at all forms of poker, but not all of us are barry greenstein or chip reese.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 AM

I'm a better player (stats wise) in tournaments but I win more money in cash games. (If you consider .01/.02 cash lol)
Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's exactly what I feel like... like I'm playing a totally different game. I think I'll stay away from limit for awhile. I don't think I'm doing well in tournaments by default, although my "bubble" play isn't half bad. I was in a freeroll qualifier and I was in the situation where if I did absolutely nothing while the blinds went up I still qualified. Got in huge argument with a poker friend because I told him even with AA I would fold. There is no benefit to me to risk my chips at that time. Anyway it's nice to know it isn't just me. Also, if I'm being 100% honest with myself I think part of it is my fault. It's much easier for me to wrap my brain around playing my chips correctly when they are "just" chips. I have a harder time in cash games when my chips are my money. I know I have to get over that, but psychologically I think that's where I'm at. I don't have any poker psych books, all of my stuff is poker strategy. I think I'm going to pick some up. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

A good way to get over your fear of losing your "chips" in cash games, is to play the micro limits. At least that's what I have been finding out. I have moved down to $0.1/$0.25 to gain experience and to learn to be more aggressive. All without having to worry about losing a lot of money.

I love both cash games and tournies. I play both forms daily. I find that when the cash game is becoming a grind, as you have to be a lot more patient, I would go play a SNG or MTT. I suggest you post some hand historis on your cash games to get feedback. That helped me like you wouldn't belief. Good luck!