Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default What Can I get out of my apartment complex?

They screwed up. They converted it into condos and started selling off units, including mine. Today my girlfriend got a call asking if we were ready to move out tomorrow, but we'd never received notice. They're required to give 30 days notice so we can definitely just wait the 30 days and move out then. The tough spot for them is that the new owner (well, almost, he's ready to close) needs the place as soon as possible because his son is moving in here to go to school. Hence the rock and the hard place for the leasing office. They offered us half off a month's rent ($500) to move into a different place in the complex extremely quickly, where we'd be guaranteed to be able to stay through the end of September (which is all we need). Obviously they should be willing to give a lot more. They're deal could be contingent on us moving out, and even if it's not it's a massive headache if we decide to stay the 30 days.

I have one thought, there's a baseball sized dent/crack in one of the walls and the carpets need to be cleaned, if we got our full security deposit back anyway (since we won't be able to fix them in the short time allotted now)

Or I could just ask them to pay for the move or I dunno, any other ideas?

FYI My overall experience dealing with these people has been poor, several times living here I really felt like they were sticking it to me.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: What Can I get out of my apartment complex?

full security depost, full months rent, pay to move you, and put you up in a nice hotel until you find a new place. ask for the world, and hope to get half of it.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:17 PM

I think guids is right here... they will obviously try to get away with giving you as little as possible. But the fact that they offered you anything in the first place probably means that you can get a whole lot more if you're willing to make a stink about it. I'd fight it for a while, the worst thing that can happen is you take the initial $500.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:27 PM

goof,

I'd generally lean pretty close to quids' position, but probably not ask for quite that much since to me if you asked for all that I think it would come off like a negotiating stance as opposed to something you really expected.

One month's rent, pay to move, full security deposit. I think telling them that you can move ASAP for that. Tell them you're willing to help them, but this is a very bad weekend/week for you, so if they can only do $500, then you'd need to schedule it at a better time for you in a week or two.

At the minimum, I'd want the $500 + moving costs + full security deposit back to move right now.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:53 PM

im not sure if you have a lease for your place through the end of september. sort of sounds like you dont and sounds like youre month to month. i wouldnt be willing to move into a new place for 3 months. id get what i could from them and then move to a new place entirely.

$500 is not anywhere close to what the inconvenience is to most people to move w/ little notice nor (and more importantly) is it close to what it is worth to them.

i think you can reasonably expect it be worth a full month's rent and for them an additional amount in moving expenses. it's in their best interest to keep their buyer happy and they will have a lot of paperwork involved if they have to fix this mess they created.

i would imagine almost all complexes will balk at the return of security deposits sight unseen.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:23 PM

Guilds nailed it in the first post. Do what he says and post what the leasing company counter offers.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:30 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

They said no. You have 3 options, 1) half off a month's rent, 2) moving expenses, or 3) take the full 30 days.

I chose 3.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They said no. You have 3 options, 1) half off a month's rent, 2) moving expenses, or 3) take the full 30 days.

I chose 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about contacting the buyer and negotiating something, leaving the apartment complex office out of it?