Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 07:55 PM

Default $5 buyin $2500 Gurantee UB - Made flush T high, HU pot.

Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t300./t600.
(Ante: t75)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t15675
Hero: t17730
MP1: t13585
MP2: t20180
MP3: t24130
CO: t6430
Button: t12870
SB: t6980
BB: t18720

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG+1 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls t600 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1575)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t2000</font>, MP1 calls t2000 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t4175)</font>, 7 folds.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t6175, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t2500</font>, MP1 calls t2500 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t8675)</font>.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t11175, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero is all-in t13155</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP1 calls all-in t9010</font>.
Uncalled bets: t4145 returned to Hero.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t29195, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: t29195)

Results:
Final pot: t29195

My thoughts:

Couple hours into tourney 60 odd players left top 49 pay.

Preflop: Pretty happy with I throw in a decent raise and get it headsup.

Flop: Ok flop, I fire a small bet. If he comes over the top I'm in a tough spot. The Ace is a little worrying but I have a nice draw behind me, AKo, 99 would probably re-raise me here due to the draw. AA, KK, QQ would probably raise me preflop. He calls, JJ with a heart make sense as does QQ. AK, AQ, AJ with a heart also make sense.

Turn: I hit the flush the pot is now as big as his stack. I'm only behind A,Q,J of hearts. I figure if I check he might bet than I'm really in a tough spot. I push?

River: We're allin, board doesn't pair. No change.

I'm guessing most will figure out his hand. Those are my thoughts, would appreciate any feedback to see if I played it right.

Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: $5 buyin $2500 Gurantee UB - Made flush T high, HU pot.

your thinking is flawed!! stop and think for a second. you have given no thought to how villain will receive your bet.

1. he has no hearts. is he really calling your bet?
2. he has a bigger heart. will a bigger heart fold? maybe the jack. thats it. so the bet is a big loser in the long run.
3. if you plan to continue in the hand(i check fold) the clear play is to check. why? bc a non-heart may bluff all in. he would NEVER call YOUR bet but he may bluff. thats all you have right now a bluff catcher.

let me know what you think. good luck remember this in spots like this in the future.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the reply

1. KK or 99 would probably be the only non-heart hands that fit so far and 'may' call this.
2. Agreed.
3. This is what I don't get, if I check and induce a 'bluff', than how can I call it? If he has a big heart he bets. If he has no heart. He may sense my check is a sign of weakness and bet. Do I just have to accept the fact that I'm going to have to bin this hand no matter what? What happens if he checks behind, do I fire the river?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:52 PM

ok now we get the key decision. do you think that odds your hand is good is greater than the pot odds you will face if he bets? ex he bets 10k into 20k pot . you are risking 10 to win 30. 30/10 =3:1 so if you think you will be good 25% of the time you will break even. you have to do estimates but online its easier bc u see pot size. back to this hand.if you think hand justifies a call check to induce the bluff and CALL. if the math is not favorable or is marginally so check and give up. in either case you will be wrong some of the time but you have to make practical logical decisions and live with them.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:53 PM

btw if anyone sees flaws in my reasoning please respond
Old 11-26-2007, 01:44 AM

I think by shoving the turn u turned your hand into a bluff, because he will always call with a better flush and almost always fold all of the other worst hands, so u have no value in that bet. Without any reads id probably c/f the turn.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 AM

Yea, I agree now. Good to hear, next time I won't be making the same mistake, so it's all good. Thanks
Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your thinking is flawed!! stop and think for a second. you have given no thought to how villain will receive your bet.

1. he has no hearts. is he really calling your bet?
2. he has a bigger heart. will a bigger heart fold? maybe the jack. thats it. so the bet is a big loser in the long run.
3. if you plan to continue in the hand(i check fold) the clear play is to check. why? bc a non-heart may bluff all in. he would NEVER call YOUR bet but he may bluff. thats all you have right now a bluff catcher.

let me know what you think. good luck remember this in spots like this in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok now we get the key decision. do you think that odds your hand is good is greater than the pot odds you will face if he bets? ex he bets 10k into 20k pot . you are risking 10 to win 30. 30/10 =3:1 so if you think you will be good 25% of the time you will break even. you have to do estimates but online its easier bc u see pot size. back to this hand.if you think hand justifies a call check to induce the bluff and CALL. if the math is not favorable or is marginally so check and give up. in either case you will be wrong some of the time but you have to make practical logical decisions and live with them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great thinking. Id just like to stress that if he bluffs 25% of the time, a call will be a breakeven play, but the success percentage will also be 25%, busting you out in 3 out of 4 tourneys.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Great thinking. Id just like to stress that if he bluffs 25% of the time, a call will be a breakeven play, but the success percentage will also be 25%, busting you out in 3 out of 4 tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thatīs not the point. Read Bond18īs posts (besides others) and find out that the tournament life (namely the survival in a tournament) has no value itself. What counts is simply accumulating chips. So - if a call is +EV it (normally) doesnīt matter if you risk your tourney life with it (except for very special situations like satellites).

<u>Back to the original post:</u> your flop bet seems ridiculously small - telegraphing very well that youīre extremely unsure about your hand but feel committed to make a conti-bet here. Donīt do that!! If I stuck in Villains shoes here I maybe had pushed you off this hand with nothing but air ...

So - either make a decent flop-bet (to protect against flush-draws) or even better: check! If Villain checks behind you can bet this turn but fold to a raise. If Villain made a decent flop bet I would fold as well. So far you havenīt invested a big portion of your stack so keep your losses small. Look at this flop and remember: you either lose very much money (when the heart comes and Villain has a bigger heart or Villain has a K or an overpair) OR you win very little money. So the implied odds make me acting very cautious here.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Pretty happy with I throw in a decent raise and get it headsup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be happy about this. You are now HU OOP with someone who liked his hand enough not to try to isolate w/ a RR. That does not smell like weakness to me.

Then, you get a flop that can only lead to trouble. A draw to the 4th flush, w/ an overcard on the board.

C/F the flop and move on. Or, if you prefer, and seeing as you have him covered, C/R the flop all in. You might fold AA w/ a heart, that way. Maybe. You'd have to know your opponent.

You might want to think about raising more pf, maybe 2500.

Regards

Gar