Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: General Theory: Blocker bets

[ QUOTE ]
Is there even much merit to blocker bets then? If you are going to just value bet against an unknown because they will more than likely just call. And if you wont really use em against regs because they could see right through them, is there even a point?

[/ QUOTE ]

The purpose I use blocker bets is like in the example above. As bluff-inducers. So, I guess I really don't use blocking bets. It is rare I don't know where I am in a hand so much I need to test the waters on the river. If that's the case I usually c/c a reasonable river bet. If the scare card (the gutshot on the board or whatever) comes on the river, unless he is super-LAGGY, you won't have to pay too much. Most situations like that, with the scare card out villain checks behind and I've lost value. So I guess the other purpose is as a value bet.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 PM

Well my impression of the difference is that you block bet when you think you might be ahead, but there is less of a chance that you are as compared to when you value bet. From what I know, blocker bets seem to be 1/3 of the pot or less, making your mandatory winning percentage lower than a standard vb.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 PM

i rarely block but if i do its on a monster draw when im out of position { str8 and flush board } and the stacks are deep
i cant stand it when a weak opponent block bets into me, i usually raise pot
Old 11-01-2007, 10:26 PM

In general, I find making your blocking bets 1/3 pot or less is bad. I like to make them so I extract the most from hands I'm beating and can easily fold when raised; it really serves as a value bet that is the amount of money you're comfortable putting into the pot.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 PM

I don't think I ever block bet. It's either a thin value bet (or is this what a blocking bet is?) or I check to induce a bluff.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 PM

PowerRangers, the problem with just c/c the river is you lose value vs worse hands that would call a small bet but just check behind, and you still pay off the better hands for possibly more than the price of your block bet.

I think Bazooka, Unknown Soldier and several others have the right idea. I'm not sure if the 50% is the right number though, it depends on the opponent and pot size.

Often a block bet will be a two way bet, in value/bluff territory. Some worse hands will call, some better hands will call but not raise(you set your own price), and only good hands and bluffs will raise and you can usually comfortable fold.

Like Thac pointed out, most block opportunities come on a scary board, where the opponent has a hard time raising without the hand the board helps. It helps if the actions leading up to the river make it possible that you could have that hand also. It's important to have a feeling how your opponent will react to a blocker. Thac and others who fake block to induce a bluff, you may want to note those players(if regulars and they pay attention). Once you bet 1/3 pot on river with near nuts to eek out value or induce a bluff, your block bets should now become more effective(meta) vs aware opponents.

Just my humble opinion, and I struggle like most with thin block bets.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM

I think a thin value is very similar to a blocking bet, except you're doing it for both information as well as value.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 PM

blocker bet works nice on nl25 vs donks
Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 PM

I think they have their place, generally when you have a decent but not great hand and you suspect your villain of the same.

Think of it this way, let's say you're in position on the river with a medium strength hand like bottom 2 pair on a 3 flush board. As the hand was played through the turn you suspected your villain may have completed the flush but aren't sure. If not, you think your hand is most likely good.

Villain checks. What do you do here? Unless he's a tricky villain this generally means that he missed the flush or isn't confident in his hand, so you can value bet for 3/4 of the pot (or bigger if you think you might need some FE).

Now let's say instead of checking, villain puts out a bet slightly less than 1/2 pot. Now it could just be a blocker, but it could be the flush trying to get value without scaring us away. What do we do? We call. If villain has a similar strength hand that we beat, he just got to set the price for showdown. If he hadn't, we may have cost him an extra few BB's for a hand he would still need to call with.

I think if you're going to add blocking bets to your repertoire, then you probably need to balance them by occasionally making similar bets with monster hands looking for value. If you keep the frequency similar they'll never know how to respond and you can save yourself money when playing marginal hands OOP that you still want to showdown.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well my impression of the difference is that you block bet when you think you might be ahead, but there is less of a chance that you are as compared to when you value bet. From what I know, blocker bets seem to be 1/3 of the pot or less, making your mandatory winning percentage lower than a standard vb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I don't think I've ever made a <1/2 PSB as a blocker. It's just begging to get bluffed. 1/2 PSB seems to be the magic number for me. It can act as a blocker, and I can also use it to extract with my bigger hands.