Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Optimal Use of BR?

I've been away from online poker for about 1 1/2 years and am just now getting back into it.

What I am contemplating is this:

What would be a better use of my $200ish BR? Buying in full to the $10 and $25 NLHE games or short stacking (min-buy-ins) the $50 games.

The goal is to make as much money as possible in the shortest amout of time yet enduring the lowest ROR.

Some cons to short stacking are that it takes a lot of the 'poker' out of the game, reducing the game to simply a formula of push and pray, then ratholing after reaching certain plateaus.

Also, I will not learn the game as quickly, well I should say I won't improve as fast. I actually play reasonably well already.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

And to save the obligatory 'Party Blackjack' response, I'm an American, so that won't work.

Later
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Optimal Use of BR?

Well, if your goal is to improve and continue playing it would seem to be preferable to play in those games that will allow you to play as you intend to in future.

If you don't intend to spend long at 'push and pray' there's seems little point in wasting experience and learning time doing that just so that you're playing at a higher level a little sooner.

Why not spend the time developing your game at a level where you can play a more balanced game and also have a good 'comfort zone'?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't play NL25 with only $200. Your winrate in $/hr should be similiar if you play $10 or shortstack $50 assuming you are decent player. Your RoR should be low either way I'd think. One thing to consider though is that if you play on FTP w/ rakeback you should earn considerably more that way shortstacking NL50.

Most mostly I advise trying to double up in one hand of UltimateBet blackjack. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 AM

Your points are valid.

I am not looking to move up for the sake of moving up. I basically want to run it up to around 1k as quickly as possible without too high of a risk of ruin. It's such a pain in the ass to cashout anymore that it isn't worth the trouble cashing out smaller amounts.

To paraphrase, I am not looking for build a BR, I just want to make a few bucks to spend.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Shortstacking is terribly boring.
Just build up. If youre a good player, id just start in NL50. If you are a noob, then start out lower.
When you get to 500 add some NL100 and buy in for 75.
(only if you have solid winrate online already!)
Old 07-25-2007, 06:58 PM

$10 sngs up to $400. Then $20 sngs.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:58 PM

i would play .05/.10 for a while and get comfortable.... then move up when u feel like taking a shot