Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Re: RYANCMU teaches struggling NL50 and NL100 players

Re the AQo example (I don't want to clutter the thread by repeating it all):

You are saying that 3betting forces your opponent to either turn his hand more or less face up or fold. He will fold more than half the time. (actually I expect to get a fold more like 2 in 3 but w/e).

In any case, the pf folds don't entirely fund this exercise. Sometimes he 4bets and we fold. Sometimes he flatcalls and we have to play a flop. I am thinking we likely lose at least as many flops as we win, particularly with AQo.

In your example, you suggest his calling range might be 4% -say AA-TT, AKo, AQs+. I guess there is a slight bias away from the ultrapremium end of that range bc most guys would 4bet at least half the time with AA/KK and maybe more.

Now, a large chunk of that range is AK. So with AQo, we have a pretty acute domination problem and can't safely play an A hi flop.

My point is, are we not better off substituting a bunch of suited aces or pocket pairs for AQo. That way we can maintain a similar 3bet frequency, we hit the flop less often but we get a lock when we do, and can take a whole stack. We can also still do the c-bets on boards that are likely to be dangerous to our opponents.

What do you think?