Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Cold Calling Multiway

When an opponent open-raises and it is folded to me in a non-blind position I virtually always either 3-bet or fold. But when there is a raiser and one a cold-caller before me, I am often curious whether I should be doing some cold calling myself. The hands that I suspect may be profitable in spots like that are small to medium pocket pairs, various sized suited connector-type hands, and possibly AJ/KQ types. I currently only do it with some pairs and some suited broadway combinations.

What do you guys think?

Does your answer change if there is a raise and two cold-callers before it gets to me?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 03-12-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Cold Calling Multiway

Hmm i like coldcalling with hands like KQ, KJs, (depending on game) QJs, AJ, ATs (which i sometimes muck), AJs (which i sometimes 3 bet), 77, 88, sometimes even KTs.

None of this is terribly strict, often quite player dependant and blind dependant.

With two cold callers i get more interestd in suited connectors like say JTs, QJs, and smaller pocket pairs which now have greater implied.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:03 PM

I think we can cold-call on rare occasions with hands that whilst currently likely behind the raisor have good prospects if they hit the flop well AND can stand the multi-way action. Small PPs fall into this if enough are in (raisor and 2 callers is good for this) as if we hit our set we can drag a lot of extra bets from players who will make some loose flop and turn calls due to the pot size, when they could well be drawing dead.

I would draw the line with suited cards to only include those that also have high value and would not do it with any unsuited non-pair hands.

Cold-calling hand like 78s that flop a draw that you then have to stick with till the end for mutiple bets on the flop and turn will increase variance a lot and are probably not worth the trouble.

I made my first cold-call in about 8K hands earlier with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] from the button after MP had already cold-called UTGs raise. It worked out well and I scooped a decent pot so I might be biased!

Also I know that if a TAGish player cold-calls me on the button it does scare the proverbial out of me and adds another random factor to your game which will make you harder to read I think.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:12 PM

Depends a lot on the blinds.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:52 PM

If a loose raiser opens EP and a medicore (or worse) player coldcalls, I will coldcall on the button with 55-88. Also, any broadway suited. I have also added ATo/AJo/KQo/KJo to this mix. Am I the only one doing this? It seems so anti-2+2, but it actually feels right when I do it.

If there are more coldcallers then I add all pairs and begin adding suited connectors down to maybe 76s, and 1-gappers down to T8s.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a loose raiser opens EP and a medicore (or worse) player coldcalls, I will coldcall on the button with 55-88. Also, any broadway suited. I have also added ATo/AJo/KQo/KJo to this mix. Am I the only one doing this? It seems so anti-2+2, but it actually feels right when I do it.

If there are more coldcallers then I add all pairs and begin adding suited connectors down to maybe 76s, and 1-gappers down to T8s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this too, tho you are a bit looser than me with offsuit cards. Bad players + position + hands that play well multiway = CC.

Surf
Old 03-12-2006, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still see very, very, very little incentive to cold call with those offsuit hands.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I still see very, very, very little incentive to cold call with those offsuit hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate,

What do you typically cold-call with?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 03-12-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate,

What do you typically cold-call with?

Thanks,
Cartman

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't do a lot of cold calling. Low-medium pairs are a regular exception, as are medium suited hands depending on how much better of an advantage I think I have postflop.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't do a lot of cold calling. Low-medium pairs are a regular exception, as are medium suited hands depending on how much better of an advantage I think I have postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is an open-raiser and one cold caller enough for you to make these exceptions typically, or do you need another player involved (not including the blinds)?