Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Why are most offensive lineman white and defensive lineman black?

They are very similar positions, yet the racial barrier between the two positions is almost never crossed. Do you think there are actually genetic differences that make whites better O lineman and blacks better D lineman, or do you think stereotypes cause coaches to slot players into one side or the other based on race? I'd like to see Real Sports do a segment on this.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Why are most offensive lineman white and defensive lineman black?

[ QUOTE ]

They are very similar positions

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading there, no they are two completely different positions. I'm pretty sure Dwight Freeney would struggle immensely with blocking Simeon Rice.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading there, no they are two completely different positions. I'm pretty sure Dwight Freeney would struggle immensely with blocking Simeon Rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you don't have to agree with that assessment to answer the question. Explain to me if/how the differences in the positions make one race better suited to one position or the other.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 AM

There are tons of black offensive lineman, and a decent amount of white defensive lineman. It's not like cornerback or anything.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:16 AM

Are most offensive lineman white?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:18 AM

I mean when you think of the top young left tackles, only one of them is white (Joe Thomas). Well, Jake Long, too. But you have D'Brickishaw, Marcus McNeil, Jammal Brown, etc. The dominant LTs in the past years have been black: Willie Roaf, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Bryant McKinnie.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you don't have to agree with that assessment to answer the question. Explain to me if/how the differences in the positions make one race better suited to one position or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

OL is all about knowing assignments - aka 'smarts'. You have to be able to recognize and remember lots of different schemes.
DL is all about speed and strength - aka 'physical traits'. Just go make a play.

Once you realize that, you'll see the obvious answer to your question. Looking further, we see what happens when a really smart big black guy plays OL (Larry Allen, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Randall McDaniel, etc)
Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bias. Rutgers best RB behind Ray Rice was put to DB because he is white. Joe Martinek was one of the best backs that Jersey has had in a long time and decided to stay home.

Edit: And others made a good point about dominant OL that are also african-american.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OL is all about knowing assignments - aka 'smarts'. You have to be able to recognize and remember lots of different schemes.
DL is all about speed and strength - aka 'physical traits'. Just go make a play.

Once you realize that, you'll see the obvious answer to your question. Looking further, we see what happens when a really smart big black guy plays OL (Larry Allen, Orlando Pace, Walter Jones, Randall McDaniel, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically, black people are big and strong, but too dumb to play OL? except a few outliers?

nice post
Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 AM

Seems like there are plenty of both. I don't know what you are talking about tbh.
Closed Thread