Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2006, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Most shocking/unbelievable finishes you saw

Most Unbelievable: 1986 World Series, Game Six.

Most Shocking (from a fan's perspective in a good way): 1987 Fiesta Bowl, Pete Giftopoulos' interception clinches the National Championship for Penn State.

Most Shocking (from a fan's perspective in a bad way): 1972 Olympic Men's Basketball Gold Medal Game.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one has mentioned the Bills comeback against the Oilers early 90's. It was 28 to 3 at half time, Frank Wright subbing for Jim Kelly throws an interception early in the 3rd quarter thats returned for a TD to make it 35 to 3.

From there the Bills score 35 unanswered points and Warren Moon has to drive the Oilers in the wanning moments for a tying FG. The Bills win it in overtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be a dick, but wow. That's not even close.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

what was illegal about nebraska/missouri??

[/ QUOTE ]

Intentionally kicked ball by the receiver. I remember an interview with him afterwards with him talking about throwing his foot out "doing anything to try and keep it alive" or some words to that effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the guy who kicked it was interfered with when the ball was initially thrown to him so everyone who says Nebraska cheated can basically blow me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever helps you sleep at night dude.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:39 AM

What happened in the Cal/Stanford game. Did I miss something?
Old 11-02-2006, 02:42 AM

Cal/Stanford 1982 when they had 8 laterals on the last play of the game and ran through the marching-band to get to the end-zone for the winning score. Sound familiar??
Old 11-02-2006, 03:38 AM

Cal Stanford.

Lori
Old 11-02-2006, 04:23 AM

I'm still trying to go through things that made me shout/laugh/cry or just be amazed. Sadly this next one is almost impossible to explain to an American audience, yet it is truly ridiculous and shocking.
It will lose something in the explanation which I've put below the link for anyone wanting to brave it.

South Africa knock themselves out of the cricket world cup

Cricket is basically baseball but where each base counts as a run, and you run backwards and forwards between home and first.

Scoring one run is pretty easy. (Smashing a home run is worth six, Hitting a ground rule double is worth four) You just need to hit the ball far enough that you can run to the other end before someone throws the ball there. Just like running to first base, except cricket bats are bigger.

In this game, the only number you need to look at in the first half of the video is the one that starts off at around 106 in the bottom left. This is Sri Lanka's score and it is what S.A. will need to beat.

When they show SA batting is where it gets very messy.
When it rains, a reasonably tricky formula is applied to work out who wins. SA have battled their way into position where they are big faves to win and it begins to pour with rain.

The commentators know that SA need to score one run without getting out off the final ball. Something at this stage that is very easy.
However the SA batsman has got the message that all he has to do is not get out. He therefore plays the ball gently along the ground (you don't have to run when you hit the ball in cricket if you don't want to) to be completely safe and because of the miscommunication, this ensures their elimination from the tournament.

Lori (Explanation partially included because of recent threads questioning what cricket is)
Old 11-02-2006, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the explanation, I'm still trying to figure this Cricket thing out...
Old 11-02-2006, 04:52 AM

Excuse the roll I'm on here.... figure that there will be a few English ones that people in the USA would never hear about. I'm trying to ignore a few famous, but basically boring ones.(Like us winning the soccer world cup.)

In this one, Carlisle are the bottom team of the bottom professional soccer division. If they stay that way, they will be relegated to the amateur leagues. The score is 1-1 and they've already played 5 minutes of stoppage time.
The goalkeeper decides there is nothing to lose and prevents the club from being relegated and possibly even liquidated due to large debt. The fans are quite happy about this [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Keep your eyes on where the referee ends up.

Jimmy Glass goal

Lori
Old 11-02-2006, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a homer

2005 NCAA regional final between Illinois and Arizona

I've never been in a stadium that bananas, and I've been to quite a few big sporting events.

[/ QUOTE ]

video for those that haven't checked out my myspace page (which I finally visited and updated a bit for 10 minutes today)