Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2006, 06:33 PM

Default 40/80 K10s hand

I have a fairly tight aggro image, havent been playing too many hands b/c the game is fairly passive and most of the players are familiar to me. its a gorgeous game, most are weak-passive calling stations and this is one of a few hands that lead to my demise of the session.

folded to me in MP and i raise red K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], passive calling station foxwoods regular (i forget his name) calls to my left in LP, sb folds, BB calls.

flop comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

bb checks, i check, LP bets, bb folds, i c/r, he calls

turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] i bet, he raises i call

river 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] i bet for value?? he calls

do you: bet this river, or c/c?

the turn raise sucks after i c/r him on the flop, i considered 3-betting the turn b/c he may have seen the flop c/r as a semi-bluff and decided to get frisky. he's passive and weak.. but hes certainly not an idiot either and knows i play tight but play very aggro post-flop.

results in white:
<font color="white">villain shows 88, and i lose the pot </font>
Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Re: 40/80 K10s hand

[ QUOTE ]
passive calling station foxwoods regular

[/ QUOTE ]

gonna have a hard time convincing anyone the flop check doesn't suck.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
passive calling station foxwoods regular

[/ QUOTE ]

gonna have a hard time convincing anyone the flop check doesn't suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, any plan that doesn't guarantee that a bet go in here sucks...bet/3bet if far superior to going for a c/r here...

why donk the river? if you think he is free showdown raising you then you should 3bet the turn while you still have extra equity from your flush draw if you are behind...
Old 10-06-2006, 06:53 PM

checking this flop is dumb, and by dumb i mean so fundamentally wrong that i can't believe i am seeing it.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
checking this flop is dumb, and by dumb i mean so fundamentally wrong that i can't believe i am seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

he will bet if checked to, and i saw him grabbing chips to bet so i c'r'd. normally i wouldnt make this kind of move but switching it up is okay too.

yes he's passive but if i see someone holding chips read to bet then let them when you flop a big hand.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:59 PM

the 3-bet is why i hesitated on the turn.. i wasnt sure if his raise was b/c he made two pair with the 8, b/c he easily could do that here as well. his turn raise doesnt mean he has a set every time..

i do agree however that the flop check is bad.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he will bet if checked to, and i saw him grabbing chips to bet so i c'r'd. normally i wouldnt make this kind of move but switching it up is okay too.

yes he's passive but if i see someone holding chips read to bet then let them when you flop a big hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

its a pretty common tell for a lot of players that if they hold enough chips to call a bet then they most likely will call a bet, but would rather you check so that they can check as well...its like some kind of intimidating "oh, im gonna call you so don't bother bluffing, but i really don't want to put my money in but i will" kind of thing...

besides that, getting 1/3 bets on the flop is better than getting 0/2...
Old 10-06-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its a pretty common tell for a lot of players that if they hold enough chips to call a bet then they most likely will call a bet, but would rather you check so that they can check as well...its like some kind of intimidating "oh, im gonna call you so don't bother bluffing, but i really don't want to put my money in but i will" kind of thing...

besides that, getting 1/3 bets on the flop is better than getting 0/2...

[/ QUOTE ]

well before i bet the flop i thought so myself "if i bet he will call for sure, but if i check and he does bet, i can raise and get some value for my hand, as it is pretty likely that he does have a pp or middle pair". checking this flop through would have definitly sucked, but betting the flop every time you have something (he's bad, but notices that i play relatively tight), isnt exactly good for building a pot.

i'm almost sure of it though that he's not raising this flop. with him closing the action on the hand, i figured there might have been a good chance he'd bet the flop if checked to by two opponents.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
passive calling station foxwoods regular (i forget his name) calls to my left

[/ QUOTE ]

i hate the river bet, you're almost never good here and he's obviously not folding a better hand

first say you say:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

then you say:

[ QUOTE ]
i do agree however that the flop check is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

so which is it?

if you saw that he was going to bet but didn't think he would raise if you bet then i like going for the c/r. otherwise, thirddan's posts look good
Old 10-06-2006, 07:37 PM

he's not raising anything but top pair for sure.

the flop check theoretically is probably bad, but if i'm sure hes going to bet, i'd rather c/r this flop b/c hes not 3-betting unless hes got a monster and i didnt read his reaction for a big hand.. but one good enough to bet and hope to take it down if checked to.