Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Florida rooms don\'t allow dealers to muck showdown hands

The Isle in Pompano and the Hard Rock Hollywood, possibly one or two other rooms, have recently set a policy in which the dealer is not allowed to muck hands at showdown. As he's reading hands, the dealer must turn losing hands face down in front of the player but cannot gather in cards until after the pot is awarded.

This led to an interesting situation I was involved in the other day in a 2-4 Omaha/8 game. I was dealt Ah 2h xx in middle position, and flopped a flush with two babies and a face card. Guy to my immediate right bet, I raised and, typically, about five people called. Turn was another baby, checked to me, I bet out, everyone called. River paired the board, there was a bet and a raise before it got to me, and I knew one or both caught the full house. But I made a crying call, so focused on having my flopped flush cracked that I completely zoned out on the fact that I had the nut low for a split. At showdown, two people show full house, I fold my hand face down in front of me as two or three others table their hands.

Guy behind me says, "I have 24 for low," and it suddenly dawned on me that I had the A2. So I reach out and turn my cards face up. Dealer awards me half the pot, and 24 guy loses it. Dealer said simply, "Cards speak." Floor was called, floor agreed with the dealer.

I can't blame the guy for being pissed, as I did obviously fold my hand. But because of the house policy of not mucking losing hands at showdown, I was able to correct my own dumbass mistake.

Please discuss.