Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 03:16 PM

Default Is it harder for a man to be knocked out of a tourney/sng by a woman?

SNG this past weekend, I knocked a guy out, he says leaving the table "I will never live this down, being knocked out by a girl". A guy at the table right next to me agrees with him, and tells me its much harder to lose to a woman than a man. How many guys feel this way? Do you play woman differently because of it? Very curious about this.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Is it harder for a man to be knocked out of a tourney/sng by a woman?

Honestly, I think it has a lot to do with her personality and her attitude.

If the girl is nice and friendly with a pretty demeanor, it will hurt me the same than if it were a man knocking me out.

If on the other hand, the girl is rude or talks [censored] about taking me out, it will hurt me to no end. This happens because I can't really do anything about it (if it were a guy I would say something, but with a girl I can't).

But in general, being taken out hurts the same regardless of gender. The people close to this person were just making fun of him.

Regarding your question about playing women differently, in my case I do play women softer, to my own dissfortune. Against guys I am agressive, but for some reason I'm not against girls, although I know I should since I have lost a lot of chips to girls for not being agressive enough.

Colima420
Old 07-30-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Is it harder for a man to be knocked out of a tourney/sng by a woman?

I was knocked out of a tourney by a female once, and it was less upsetting than normal. I don't know y, she was not yong and cute, nor old, or rude, not extra sweet, just a normal late 30s woman who made a good call. Maybe with guys there is a bit of a macho thing that makes it more upsetting to me. This is the only time a female knocked me out so I don't have alot of case studys though.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Is it harder for a man to be knocked out of a tourney/sng by a wom

obviously all females are inferior poker players
Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 AM

Some guys are just neanderthals or asshats. If they have some stupid macho ego problem, then this will bother them. If they mistakenly believe that men are better at poker than women, it will probably bother them. Any (remotely) experienced player won't feel any differently about it.

The one big exception I can see here is if someone who plays like crap knocks me out. Then I would be pissed and if they are female I might say somethign stupid about women players, when all I'm really pissed about is losing to someone who plays poorly (whether male or female).
Old 07-31-2007, 01:07 PM

Not for me.. Just sux that I got knocked out lol..
Old 07-31-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any (remotely) experienced player won't feel any differently about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't true, b/c bigotry is not a rational thing
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM

I actually like when a woman knocks me out because I know that it wasn't because I was outplayed. I can sleep well knowing I hit the wrong end of variance that day, and start again the next day.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If on the other hand, the girl is rude or talks [censored] about taking me out, it will hurt me to no end. This happens because I can't really do anything about it (if it were a guy I would say something, but with a girl I can't).

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually like when a woman knocks me out because I know that it wasn't because I was outplayed.

[/ QUOTE ]

you just keep thinking like that...it makes it easier for us to take your money [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Now, whether the above text was meant in jest or whether the poster was serious, it amazes me how many guys forget that some of us can actually do math and actually have a grasp of what is going on at the table.

Even if I just slog through a multi-table event and get to the final table with a bare minimum of chips, that says there were a lot of other chaff that got separated from the wheat. After all, I would rather be *at* the final table with a minimum of chips than not even have had the opportunity at the brass ring...