Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Flopped straight flush how do I get max value?

Couldn't get history to work so from memory:

10 handed mtt, around 80 left, 200 or so runners. Hero was top 5 in chips but justed bluffed of around t6,000 chips flat calling on button vs late pos raiser and hammering flop and turn but getting CRAI and had to fold. That was around 15 mins ago and have tightened up since then (no raises in a few orbits). So my image is mid-way between TAG and LAG.

Villian is average, plays semi-tight but not a nit or anything - tho he has been fairly quiet.

Hero is MP1 with ~ t12,000
Villian is BB with ~ t10,000

Blinds t150/t300 no antes.

3 folds, Hero raises to t750 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5 folds, Villian thinks for ~ 10 seconds and calls.

Flop Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot t1,650)

Villian hesitates and after 10 seconds bets ~ t900, <font color="red">Hero calls(?)</font>

Turn 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot t3,450)

Villian hesitates again and bets ~ t1,650, <font color="red">Hero?</font>

Pot is now t5,200, Villian has t6,700 behind and it's t1,650 to you....

Flat call again or small raise to get more money in?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Flopped straight flush how do I get max value?

I raise the flop to try to induce a shove from the Ac or Kc or to try to get AQ/KQ/KQ to shove to 3 bet to protect their hands.

Any queen or jack in his range should either have 2 pair or a pair and an OESD so it is likely that if you raise he will come back over the top of you if he has a small pat hand. If he smooth calls you should bet small enough on the turn that he is priced in to call another bet with his Ac Kc or OESD.

I've said this before but I'll say it again. When you flop an absolute monster you typically want to play it fast so that you can make sure that you get the villains stack when he comes along. Sometimes this means that the villain will fold the flop and not fire a second barrel with air but it also means that you can get full value when he hit a big enough piece to continue
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 AM

He has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Fold.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great example of the type of post that is not funny and only wastes peoples times. Please try to leave these types of comments in BBV and not in the MTT strategy forums.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have all of your 1005 posts been this constructive?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 AM

On the turn you have to call again. If you flat call the flop and c/r AI on the turn I think it screams monster too often.

His smallish bets seem to indicate a draw...let him peel a card and pray he hits it... or what cornel says you're gambling he has a monster draw... get him AI on his draw on the flop... but I like the way you played it. I think you have to give him some cards with a hand like that.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:42 AM

I wonder how relevant the buy in is here. In a mid- high-buy in MTT, I think CF's idea of raising the flop makes more sense, because you're more likely to be up against a player who's thinking "he's on a draw" or "he's just trying to push me off my hand because of the scary board" etc. But in a low buy in MTT, it seems that the player is more likely to either just play their own hand, or trust your show of strength. Conversely, they seem more likely to see your call as "Yeah, I've got him beat."

I could certainly be wrong, I don't know, it's just so sad when they fold.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 AM

This hand brings up a concept that, while many people instinctively grasp, a lot of posters seem to miss.

It is not enough to put the villain on a range in a hand like this: you need to figure out how he will proceed with different hands in his range and how he will react to your actions given the hands he might be holding.

When he bets out on this flop his range is:
[*]Pure bluff (22-88/Ax no club)[*]Set (TT/JJ/QQ)[*]Straight draw/no club (99, A9, K7, K8, A9)[*]Pair + straight draw/no club (9T/J9/Q9/KT/KT/KQ/AT/AJ/AQ)[*]Ac or Kc. No one ever folds an OESFD or a Gutshot SFD. Most of the times that he has a big club he also usually has a pair, increasing the chance that he will never fold[*]Made straight (89/K9/AK)[*]Baby flush

Some of these hands (two pair, set, straight draw) will not continue if a scare card falls.

Some of these hands (Naked Ac, naked Kc) will not continue if a blank falls because their equity plummets.

Some of these pair + draw hands (KT, KJ, AT) will peel the flop but will fold the turn unimproved.

Which hands are we actually getting more value out of by slowplaying our hands? Maybe when he has a total bluff he will fire another barrel if he senses weakness. Any other hand we want to get the money in and pot commit him before he sees a turn card that he does not like.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how relevant the buy in is here.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW it's a $10 rebuy, though villian plays often enough that I've also seen him in $20 and $50 rebuys / mtts.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:07 PM

You are lucky enough that he's betting. I'd just call and pray that another club comes on the river. In any case, you need for him to catch a hand that he's willing to go all the way with.

Regardless of the last card, push all in. Hope for the best.