Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 09:27 PM

Default My health, protein shake questions

I do some 'working out' for basic health. I work at a large industrial facility, and walk from the ground floor to the top of the 7th three times every other day (this is a total of about 155 feet; not your standard 7 floors). I alternate flights of stairs 1 step at a time vs 2 steps at a time, figuring this targets different muscle groups.

The days that I don't do this, I bench what I can bench 3 sets of 8 (warm up with half of that weight, using free weights, 2 sets of 10).

I do 30-34 crunches of 4 different styles (total 120+ crunches): left side crunches, right side crunches, regular crunches, and regular crunches combined with bringing my knees towards my chest/chin 5-6 days a week as well.

During the summer and early fall, I was also running 2 miles 3-4 days a week (average 8 minute miles, 9 mins if i hadn't run for a few days). This will continue, if my resolve holds, when the winter ends.

I figure this, combined with my relatively strict diet (no soda, no candy whenever i can help it [i have an allergic reaction to excess sugar anyway, i realized recently], small portions, bowl of cereal every morning, 8 cups of water at least a day (this has made me feel so much better since i started doing this!). I'm around 130 pounds, it varies between 125-131, and has for about a 16 months now (I'm 5'6")

I take 2 fish oil caps, and 1 flaxseed oil cap a day, in addition to 1 multivitamin and occasionally a calcium pill. I have 1 protein shake after my post-work workout (crunches, crunches/lifting); cup of milk plus the shake mix.

For my overall health, which as should be obvious to you, is not "get buff" oriented, but rather trying to stay fit relative to the guys at work I don't want to be like (physically) in 20 years, is the type of protein shake I have really important? I use the one I use based on it's non-super sweet taste, it's actually really bland.

It's called "Super High Protein Powder" with 24g of protein per serving (3 tblspn in a cup of milk milk). I didn't know this until I was making this post, but the protein source is soy.

Thanks for any comments!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 PM

Default Re: My health, protein shake questions

Drop 10 pounds and be a jockey?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:09 AM

look into crossfit, that seems like it might fit your goals.

Also, buy whey protein not soy next time.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:10 AM

Soy is bad. Get whey instead.