Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Leaning the swing without lessons? <newbe

I just played golf my first time Monday, and I have played 4 days total this week. I'm hooked... I got into golf by playing Tiger Woods (video game) and really wanted to try it. There is a pitch &amp; put type course close to my house, where I played put put as a kid. They have 9 holes for $9 (longest ~120yds), practice greens, and driving range. I really like it.

I have read to work on my short game, making this the perfect place to learn. The problem is obviously my swing is terrible. I feel lost when I go to hit anything that's not a chip or put, even at 70yds off a tee. I went today and hit with the P wedge and 9 Iron only. I am getting better but I have no consistency at all, and my shots look good about 1/20 times.

I have been reading tips like crazy, but I'm not sure if I can learn the swing on my own. I am wondering if watching videos and reading tips will be enough. Another possibility might be find someone to teach me for free. My cousin was on a golf team throughout highschool. Lessons are kind of out of the question, but maybe I can afford 1 or 2 to get the basics. How hard is it to learn on your own, if possible? And how long would it take to be taught by someone good if I have to pay?$?

Any links, tips, or advise at all would be great. Thanks.