Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Express lane Discrimination?

In the area I live there is only one large, non-bodega, supermarket within about 30+ blocks. It’s not a particularly wealthy neighborhood and this store is always crowded. The employee’s are as apathetic as low wage workers can be, so it’s always slow.

Now there are two express lanes that are marginally faster, however 9 times out of 10 there is someone there using food stamps. This process always involves some attendant having to get called up to go back into stock and make sure the customer got the right type of cheese, the right diapers, whatever. Many times it also involves a hand written check, further stalling the line. This happens probably 60% of the time.

Is discrimination to feel that food stamps shouldn’t be allowed in the express lane? On one hand I think it might be economic discrimination, but on the other, it’s not like people aren’t discriminated when they whip out tons of paper and verify item by item. And if I’m not getting government handouts the least I should be able to do is buy my beer faster right?