Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: *** Official 2007 Rugby World Cup

I've never heard that Bush played Rugby.
He was a cheerleader in HS at Andover, but he might've played a Yale.

In The U.S., it's mainly college club teams (often filled out with locals, grad students, and youngish professors) and amateur adult leagues with lots of foreigners and graduates of the aforementioned college teams.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
've never heard that Bush played Rugby.
He was a cheerleader in HS at Andover, but he might've played a Yale.

In The U.S., it's mainly college club teams (often filled out with locals, grad students, and youngish professors) and amateur adult leagues with lots of foreigners and graduates of the aforementioned college teams.

[/ QUOTE ] One of my old rugby mate's Dad played with him at Yale. I was told he played wing.

I learned how to play rugby in college. Some dude at a table in one of those student club fair things in the middle of campus gave a friend of mine a flyer and said come give rugby a try. My friend went, said it was awesome and convinced me to come the next practice. Most ruggers in the US share a similar story. It isn't something most people have even seen until they get to college, then they are like "why not I'll give this a try." However in recent years I've heard of a lot of high school teams popping up.

It is regional sport in the US but I wouldn't say it is really popular anywhere. The quality of rugby in the NE is pretty good and the best in the country is usually in northern California.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Japan - Fiji just gave us a very good game, a lot closer than what might have been expected (although I didn't check the line in fairness)

[/ QUOTE ] Saw the last 20 minutes of it. It was really hard fought and entertaining but wasn't the best rugby. Japan had a late charge after the 80 minute mark and threatened but appeared to run out of gas before losing possession.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Cool thing about the history of rugby in the US :

http://www.ocrugby.com/1162241.html

Most of the best US rugby teams are in CA but there are hot spots all over. The SF bay area has lots of good players, but Belmont Shore (Long Beach) might have the best squad in the US right now.

SB rugby is known for its aggressive style and extensive study of its opponents' weaknesses [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

ps. all the pacific islanders are killers; amazing amount of talent for such a small population.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 AM

I played at Northwestern after seeing a flyer that said:
[ QUOTE ]
Bored?
Enjoy violence?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-13-2007, 01:15 AM

I've heard there is a bit of a push from some colleges in the states to build rugby, I know when I graduated from a fairly strong rugby school in Australia a few of my friends were thinking about taking some sports scholarships to some US colleges. I've even heard they have rugby league at a few of them.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool thing about the history of rugby in the US :

http://www.ocrugby.com/1162241.html

Most of the best US rugby teams are in CA but there are hot spots all over. The SF bay area has lots of good players, but Belmont Shore (Long Beach) might have the best squad in the US right now.

SB rugby is known for its aggressive style and extensive study of its opponents' weaknesses [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

ps. all the pacific islanders are killers; amazing amount of talent for such a small population.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Samoan guys are usually huge and like to play dirty. I really hope rugby becomes more popular in the states. I dont think thats going to happen any time soon but I can dream. I got to play rugby in Hong Kong on my last deployment after not having played in some time. It was awesome.

"Soccer is a gentleman's game played by hooligans, rugby is is a hooligan's game played by gentlemen"

PS League is for girls. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard there is a bit of a push from some colleges in the states to build rugby, I know when I graduated from a fairly strong rugby school in Australia a few of my friends were thinking about taking some sports scholarships to some US colleges. I've even heard they have rugby league at a few of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm.... I have a lot to say about this question but I want to say that other people might come in with other information that might completely prove me wrong. Especially since I've been away from playing the game of rugby in the US for 3 years now and further I haven't lived in the US for 2 years:

1: USA rugby has been trying to grow the game of rugby, (especially high schools) but I would hardly say that there is a "push from some colleges in the states to build rugby." The push might come from other places but not from the colleges themselves. (and again I'm willing to admit being wrong but USA rugby itself is NOT an effort trying to grow the game at the college level. In many cases they are even a hindrance. I almost have to bite my tongue to cheer for the Eagles because I hate this organization) In most places rugby exists as just another club sport that a university fields. However, sadly, because of the reputation that rugby often carries many universities would prefer not to have any part of it at all.

2: A couple of years ago and as far as I know no there is only one university in the entire country that has a varsity rugby program and that is Cal. Being a varsity program means you have all sorts of access to funding from the athletic department. However, even though due to Cal's varsity status I've read and heard (can't confirm sources just because I can't remember them) that they have never had a scholarship player on their team. Everyone that plays for them finds their own way to pay for school away from rugby.

So I really doubt that your friends could receive a scholarship to play rugby in the states.

3: Beyond that I've never even heard of any single sort of Rugby League competition taken place anywhere in the US. I don't follow it much but if it does exist in the US, it probably only does so in expat communities. Rugby is by no means popular in the US and if anyone knows the game it is Union. In the US "Rugby" is synonymous with "Rugby Union."
Old 09-13-2007, 09:14 AM

There is a law in the US (Title IX) that is meant to equalize the funding between men's and women's sports. Its effect has been to kill off scholarships for male non-revenue sports (ones that don't make loads of money from TV/tickets) and increase scholarships for female non-revenue sports.

I'd be less surprised to see women getting rugby scholarships than I would men. There are already more scholarship female lacrosse players than men.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:20 AM

Wood,

I share your distaste for the USA Rugby organization. Talking to fellow ruggers around the world, esp. with those in the know, USA Rugby (the organization) is not viewed very favorably. They've done a lot to hinder the development of the sport in this country. On the other hand, USA rugby in general, is perceived favorably, even though we are pretty much a joke as far as competitiveness goes. Every club I've played against overseas has been very gracious and complimentary of the efforts to build the sport in the USA. Most of the growth has been grass roots type movements as I'm sure you are aware. The nice thing is that in the larger metropolitan areas youth leagues are starting to form which is great. The younger we get people playing this game the better. IMO, I think Rugby has a good chance to take off in the US. I think the biggest thing right now that prevents it from blowing up is the "big 3" (baseball, football, basketball).