Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Play from the SB

I have been thinking about this lately and I feel this may be a leak in my game, I haven't seen it discussed around here either and would be interested in the opinion of fellow 2p2ers

It folds around to you in the SB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], what's your play here. In LP i would raise this up nearly everytime in an unopened pot but feel weary when in the SB.

But it's not just SC, PP are the same and it feels as though if you dont hit you are playing your hand as a bluff and feel as though it's easy to become unstuck, especially as we are playing OOP and the BB will often call a C bet as alot of people go crazy in blind wars.

Any comments appreciated, i feel there could be some merit to a discussion here
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Play from the SB

I raise here.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM

SB v. BB is very villain dependant, obviously. Against an unknown, I'd raise it automatically. Against most, I guess, I'll raise it. The thing is even if BB is calling/raising with 30% (a wide range) of hands that the bet is profitable from stealing even if you never make a penny the 30% of times that the BB raises/calls. I often don't cbet from the SB into the BB, because no one believes you have a hand.

I experimented a bit with limp calling hands like this but I think that is worse.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:22 PM

raise this unless BB is miles better than you
Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 PM

Both Small PP and Mid SC's are ahead of most of the BB's range, when folded around, by limping you are giving the BB both the advantage of position and initiative. More likely than not you have the best hand here, and by raising from the SB you can C-Bet the flop and take it down most of time.

I think that it is a far bigger leak to play a hand like a SC or small pocket pair here OOP and not raise!! Just to hard against a decent player.

A Caveat to this, is with a SC type hand I am probably not trying to raise A 70/10 type player when folded to me, I would rather just see the flop and outplay him, since it is already heads up.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:42 PM

I raise here always.