Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Default I don\'t know what to think of this...probably butchered it

Preflop...whatever. I limped because the poster is a big fish and I called the raise because button is iso-raising to play against the fish with any hand he wants to see a flop with and I have been letting him do it so far and it's time to play back at him. We haven't tangled HU much up to this point but when we have he's forced me off my holding.

Button is a good TAG, a solid winner and thinking player. I'm not sure what he thinks of me, but Ive been running slightly laggy. I know he is capable of double barrelling and making thin value bets.

I called the flop planning to play poker on the turn and when it came low I decided to put it in if he bet as I thought I had the best of it. He's probably snap calling any hand that beats me but does my line look like enough of a semi-bluff/bluff to induce worse hands to call? Merging my range or whatever.

6 max 5/10NL

Preflop: I limp J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from Hijack, CO poster checks, Button makes it $50 blinds fold, I call, poster folds.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Pot $125
I c/c $100

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Pot $325

I check he bets $200 I c/r ai to $600
Old 05-13-2007, 02:34 PM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Default Re: I don\'t know what to think of this...probably butchered it

[ QUOTE ]
He's probably snap calling any hand that beats me but does my line look like enough of a semi-bluff/bluff to induce worse hands to call?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is a pure bluff

I really don't like the PF limp
Old 05-13-2007, 02:38 PM

open-limping at six max is a crime against humanity. doing it with a dead poster is even worse. your passive line has left button's range extremely wide and now you are committing your entire stack with pretty much no idea where you are at in the hand. had you been the aggressor in this hand, your range would be weighted towards stronger hands and his reaction to you would give you a much better idea of his strength.

if you don't think he will fire three barrels, then you are probably best off just calling the turn and folding if he bets the river. the cost of letting him see another card with whatever outs he has is probably less significant than the money you lose when you get all-in while way behind. but I haven't done any calcs on that, and it's probably close.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:14 PM

Hoopster: Obviously my hand is a bluff but I asked what my hand looks like. Doesn't it look like a semi-bluff/bluff? Would you ever call here with 66/77/99/TT against a guy who you think is fairly unimaginative but definitely can semibluff?

Soah: He definitely can fire three barrels...I know I would. What can I have here that can call a river bet if it blanks? I limped PF and didn't RR so big pockets are out. Am I really likely to call him down with a low pair in the hole? Alot of what seems to be standard 2p2 advice advocates a call and fold to a river bet. He knows this. So far I've been pretty straightforward. If I have a J here wouldn't I normally take that line of call turn fold river? Why not fire the 3rd barrel?

I took this line in the heat of the moment because I didn't know wtf to do. I was pretty sure I had the best hand a good proportion of the time and I didn't want another card coming off that would scare me so I ended up turning my hand into a bad bluff. Now looking back at it I'm not so sure it isn't a bad way to induce a bad call.

Ya PF isn't standard and no I don't normally do it. Yes it put me in a heap of trouble and forced me to make some very hard/thin decisions. Why did I limp? Because the poster is something like 60/15/1 and the BB is around 40/25/2 (and bad) and loves to three bet and bluff away on the flop/turn. So I don't mind giving up the betting lead here at all and taking a passive line. The problem of course is that the absolute worst situation happened in that the good tag with a wide range raised the idiot BB folded and the CO poster folded. This of course shows why doing what I did is risky and stupid, but I did it. Now given how I got myself into this horrible situation...can I get myself out?
Old 05-13-2007, 03:25 PM

overall I think it's safe to say that he is rarely folding a better hand and rarely calling with a worse hand. if you have the best hand, then there is some value in denying him the chance to see the river with 2-6 outs, but there is also value in letting him fire the third barrel - assuming his third barrel is a bluff often enough that you can make a +EV call, which seems thin at best. all you can do is make some guesses about his range and frequencies and crunch the numbers to see what looks best.