Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Joe Seboks blog post - Re: Ikes play

Comments? Ike?

$1k No Limit Hold'em w/Rebuys
I played the rebuy event yesterday and managed to get deep once again. My day started out pretty steady and solid, with me slowing chipping up from our starting stack, and up to about a high of 35k. From there I didn't have too much go on at all, until my last couple of hands. Pay attention my friends, as we are going to have some examples of what NOT to do...

I had been playing all day, but had just suffered a recent backslide, back down to about 23k. Then, with blinds of 400-800, I was lucky enough to pick up KK on the button, and brought it in for my normal raise of 2500 chips. I then heard the magic words, "all-in", from my opponent to the left of me. The big blind folded and I obviously called. The kid was this Issac Haxton character, who apparently had some success in the Bahamas this year. He sheepishly flipped up his A10, and doubled me up, as he wasn't able to spike an Ace on me. It was a bit of an aggressive play, and certainly one where he would never get action from a hand he had beat, but would always get it where he was crushed.

At any rate, I was stoked and up to just under 50k. Sadly, for me, it would only last one hand, as I immediately picked up99 on the next hand. I brought it in for my normal raise, and Haxton again moved all of his chips in the middle. This was obviously a much tougher call, but I decided if he was going to make a play like his previous one, then he might just be silly enough to do another rash play. I called and he flipped up his KJ, again, rather sheepishly. I had caught in another bad play, but this one left him still in race...

People, when you lose a big pot with a bad move, don't compound the mistake by rushing into another huge pot while everyone is going to think that you are steaming. Haxton did just this, and I was surprised as you don't typically expect players whose names you have heard to make moves this amateurish.

I digress,...unfortunately for me though, despite the poor quality of the play, Haxton was rewarded when he spiked a King on the turn. Even though it happened to work this time, you really should use it as an example of what not to do, as you are always going to be played with more after losing a big pot, not less. Make sure that you have the goods...
Old 07-04-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Joe Seboks blog post - Re: Ikes play

Sounds like a couple of pretty standard re-steals to me. Sebok comes off as pretty whiny.

The only reason these re-raises might not have been good plays is Sebok is pretty nitty from what I know, so he might be a little less likely to be raising light in late position. Although I guess that might be a reason to try to push him off a hand...
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Joe Seboks blog post - Re: Ikes play

[ QUOTE ]
.... I decided if he was going to make a play like his previous one, then he might just be silly enough to do another rash play. I called and he flipped up his KJ...

People, when you lose a big pot with a bad move, don't compound the mistake by rushing into another huge pot while everyone is going to think that you are steaming. Haxton did just this, and I was surprised as you don't typically expect players whose names you have heard to make moves this amateurish.

[/ QUOTE ]

So he doesn't expect someone whose name he has heard of to make a play like this but then calls anyway. Makes sense to me.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:18 PM

The fact that he talks about how bad the KJ shove was, says 99 was a close call, and doesn't mention effective stack sizes pretty much says it all. He's a clown.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that he talks about how bad the KJ shove was, says 99 was a close call, and doesn't mention effective stack sizes pretty much says it all. He's a clown.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-04-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How deep were you when you made these re-steals?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:33 PM

I covered and effective stacks were about 23k the first time. The second time he covered and I think I had about 25k but it might have been less.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:20 AM

he's trashing you on their radio show too
Old 07-05-2007, 12:23 AM

ike,

you're lucky you've been on tv, else i'd be forced to believe sebok and assume your clownitude.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:32 AM

Heads up match?