Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul\'s Running Mate

[ QUOTE ]
But there's more that they agree on. Student Loans, tax breaks, transparency.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is nothing (I'm not even sure the first two are true, while the third is just some buzz word). These two guys have CORE differences in the way they view the role of government.

[ QUOTE ]
If Obama REALLY wants to find common ground, I think that he's got a LOT more in common with Paul than any other GOP candidate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanting to find common ground with the other party is one thing, serving as a VP in their administration is quite another.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They have (a lot of) differences in how they think that things must be changed, but the underlying message is very similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul wants to cut MASSIVE programs out of government; IRS, DOE, etc. He believes that for things to change means giving people more freedom in how they run their lives and letting people be responsible for their own well-being.

When Obama says he wants change, he just means he wants more entitlements for people. More healthcare, more education, etc.

These aren't just differences in approach, these are core differences in what they believe the role of government is.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But there's more that they agree on. Student Loans, tax breaks, transparency.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is nothing (I'm not even sure the first two are true, while the third is just some buzz word). These two guys have CORE differences in the way they view the role of government.

[ QUOTE ]
If Obama REALLY wants to find common ground, I think that he's got a LOT more in common with Paul than any other GOP candidate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wanting to find common ground with the other party is one thing, serving as a VP in their administration is quite another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I agree that there's a difference between what they think the role of government is. But Paul isn't going to be able to flip a switch and go to "no government". There's going to need to be a need for adjustments to the system. Even though they disagree with the role of government, they would BOTH have a place in this transitionary government.

As somebody who's watched many Paul and Obama speeches, I assure you that they have the same views about Student Loans. (Allowing schools to loan directly at very small interest payments > current system) They're both interested in getting more money back into the hands of families who need it (But in different ways).

The bottom line is that even if Paul is president right now, the US government is going to be a huge bloated thing. There's so much WRONG with it, that I think that they could spend at LEAST the first term working on things that they can both agree on. (And things they don't, Paul gets his way. It's good to be king, right?)
Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM

Oh, and it also should be pointed out that by losing, neither of them get anything at all that they want.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:35 PM

I can't laugh at anyone's crazy RP VP ideas, cause in another thread I claimed he would take Kucinich (and actually put money on it with Taso), but this is OUT THERE, heh.

The thing is, I don't think Obama would ever take the political gamble. He might be talking about "reaching out to the other side and finding common ground to work with," etc., but he is a standard politician and would only practice his preachings if it was in his political best interest (which I just don't see being the case).

Interesting thought though.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't laugh at anyone's crazy RP VP ideas, cause in another thread I claimed he would take Kucinich (and actually put money on it with Taso), but this is OUT THERE, heh.

The thing is, I don't think Obama would ever take the political gamble. He might be talking about "reaching out to the other side and finding common ground to work with," etc., but he is a standard politician and would only practice his preachings if it was in his political best interest (which I just don't see being the case).

Interesting thought though.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is the case and he wouldn't be interested, I'd no longer be intersted in him. (And I can imagine a lot of people would think the same way) That would certainly be sad. You're right, it probably wouldn't be in his political interests. (Unless he thought that he and Paul could REALLY make SIGNIFICANT positive impact. If they do, he wipes out criticism of his inexperience, plus holds the key to the door in the next election)

I'd rather see big, effienct government than big, ineffecient government any day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Whoever makes him seems more legitimate.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a little hypothetical, so we're going to have to assume hell freezes over

[/ QUOTE ]

You at least could have made it the other way around or something. No way Obama would accept a VP for Paul. Also, lol at "common ground".
Old 11-17-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is a little hypothetical, so we're going to have to assume hell freezes over

[/ QUOTE ]

You at least could have made it the other way around or something. No way Obama would accept a VP for Paul. Also, lol at "common ground".

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, you could try reading the thread!
Old 11-17-2007, 09:39 PM

Obama would endorse McCain or Giuliani before he would support Paul, much less be his VP.