Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 AM

Default Re: *** The Official Duke @ UNC Thread ***

I hate duke but I agree vitale compliments everyone that's how he does things. Since JJ had a great game he complimented him a lot that's all there is to it.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 AM

well to all the UNC fans, good game and other such compliments. Your team really is quite good, especially considering all they lost.

As far as Duke goes, Williams really needs to step up to the all-american level he should be playing at. McRoberts looked niiiiice though tonight.

GO DUKE!!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:26 AM

Getting off the Vitale/Redick stuff:

Coach K has a problem. Bad trends over the past 3 years...finishing off a game. National Semis against UConn (loss), last year at UNC (loss), and almost blown game tonight.

For years I've criticized Duke for lack of developing a true inside game. Let's hope that turns with McRoberts. Williams is a good start, but Duke needs a true big man. UNC has eaten Duke's lunch inside ever since Laettner left.

A good start would be to get one of the 3 guards on the coaching staff to leave. I suggest Collins. That guy was worthless in the '94 championship.

Dodged a bullet tonight. Sooner or later, you can only take so many "best shots" from opponents before you wind up on the short end.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well to all the UNC fans, good game and other such compliments. Your team really is quite good, especially considering all they lost.

As far as Duke goes, Williams really needs to step up to the all-american level he should be playing at. McRoberts looked niiiiice though tonight.

GO DUKE!!

[/ QUOTE ]

good game
Old 02-08-2006, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Guarding J.J. (from insidecarolina.com)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The ultimate success or failure of Duke does not rest solely on Redick.

[/ QUOTE ]

The article didn't use the world "solely" first of all. Second of all if you think Duke would be a Top 5 team this year without Redick you are crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think Duke is a top 5 team without Sheldon Williams? Seriously your last two posts in this thread make you look like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually I am just interpreting the article for you. it seems like you have a reading comprehension problem yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This from the guy who cant understand a few simple lines in a post? Nice job, but you may want to go back to 1st grade, seems like you have had a little trouble the first time through.

[/ QUOTE ]

This from a guy who can't understand basketball. It is pretty blatant defensive strategy to key on stopping the best scorer in college basketball to beat his team. This was what the article was about and also, believe it or not, happens to be UNC's best chance to win this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes but thats never what I took issue with, I took issue with them saying that the ultimate success of duke rested on Redick's shoulders which is untrue. How hard is that to see? It's even the only part of the article I quoted in my first post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they ummm, Duke could have easily won that game without Redick you f-king moron. He only had 22 pts in the 2nd half and two huge threes late in the 4th.

Redick = Duke wins, as the article said.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah they ummm, Duke could have easily won that game without Redick you f-king moron. He only had 22 pts in the 2nd half and two huge threes late in the 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because one game proves this point for an entire season? Well then what happened when Redick dropped 41 on Georgetown?

I would argue that McRoberts stepping up big time was just as big of a factor in Duke winning tonight.

As well, the last three games are evidence of what happens when Williams plays like [censored], Duke has to barely scratch out victories.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:11 AM

I hate Duke and always root against them, but I don't see how that Redick being a big factor and clutch shooter in their wins is a meaningful criticism. Are you saying that he did too much late in the game for them? That is going overboard.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because one game proves this point for an entire season? Well then what happened when Redick dropped 41 on Georgetown?

I would argue that McRoberts stepping up big time was just as big of a factor in Duke winning tonight.

As well, the last three games are evidence of what happens when Williams plays like [censored], Duke has to barely scratch out victories.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, mcrogers, those 4 pts off free throws he made in the last 18 minutes were clutch and clinched the game.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, mcrogers, those 4 pts off free throws he made in the last 18 minutes were clutch and clinched the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

40 minutes in a college bball game. more to bball than just scoring. He was huge for momentum at key points in the game.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:28 AM

A few observations from tonight's game:

-Greg Paulus could very well cost Duke a national championship this year. His decision-making has been very suspect in tight spots recently.

-I've rarely seen a Duke team play as timidly as this one did tonight while Carolina was storming back to take the lead in the second half. You've gotta think that one of these nights, they are going to get burned deferring to Redick as much as they did tonight. If that happens to be during the tournament, they'll be in trouble.

-Once a year or so, Coach K decides to let his team fight its way out of a bad spot rather than call a timeout, in part, I'm sure, to measure the character of his team. Tonight seemed to be one of those instances. Specifically, when UNC was up 3 or so with maybe 6 minutes to go, Dockery hesitated rather than take a wide-open three, and ended up traveling. The look on K's face when he calmly told Dockery that he should have shot said to me that he was telling his team "It's up to you guys."

-And boy, did Redick respond. Say what you want about him, but the guy made a couple ridiculous shots down the stretch.

-If I was a Duke fan, I'd really be starting to worry about Shelden Williams. Killingsworth (Indiana), Simmons (NC State), Green (Georgetown) and now Hansbrough have all outplayed him -- his stats may have been similar tonight, but the "big" buckets and rebounds seemed to go to the UNC freshman, not the Duke senior. They're going to need him.

-Green's strange decision to take a difficult two with the clock winding down provided an anti-climactic ending to a pretty damn good game. Ah, freshmen!

-McGee