Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Two Books That Changed Your Life and Why

I have read I don't know how many books, in fact I think every Pulitzer-prize-winning novel, and none of them changed me at all. Books are stupid, I don't read anymore.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:50 PM

Wealthiest Man in Babylon - Best book i've ever read; read this and learn the rules of money and follow its advice; save 10% of your income religiously regardless of your situation

Rich Dad, Poor Dad - may have it's flaws, but it got me thinking about money in a different way and got me seriously interested in investing and planning for the future
Old 02-23-2006, 04:59 PM

I was gonna say Bunnicula and Chocolate Fever but then I remembered some better ones:

Zinn's, A People's History of the United States
-fundamentally changed the way I view our nation's sordid past and how it isn't possible to alter history but very possible to disguise it

Sedaris's, Naked
-first book that made me really laugh out loud
Old 02-23-2006, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I a pompous A-Hole for laughing at most of these books? A lot of you guys really need to read more.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you possibly say something like this without saying what your two books are?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Am I a pompous A-Hole for laughing at most of these books? A lot of you guys really need to read more.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you possibly say something like this without saying what your two books are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, because that is irrelevant to my comment?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:04 PM

I'll probably give both my nominations to the same book, since it had such a great impact. Talk about a thought provoking yet incredibly entertaining story.

The Da Vinci Code.

Swede
Old 02-23-2006, 05:10 PM

Søren og Mette. This was the book we used to learn to read when I started in school and I think this is the book that has had the largest effect on my life.

The book that I'm most in awe of is The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. It's a complicated time traveling story and at the end it all ties so beautifully together that I was completely blown away.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 PM

<u>Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark</u> - Carl Sagan &amp; Ann Druyan. I read this book when I started college and it changed the way my mind worked. I learned to think for myself, be skeptical, and consider the motivations of others before taking someone's words at face value.

<u>Small Stakes Hold'em</u>. Turned my on to 2+2 and the forums about a year and a half ago. My life has clearly been very affected.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll probably give both my nominations to the same book, since it had such a great impact. Talk about a thought provoking yet incredibly entertaining story.

The Da Vinci Code.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the Da Vinci Code too, but I don't think it changed my life. You'll likely get flamed around here for statements like that. Lots of Da Vinci Code haters here for some reason.

I read a book called Science and The Bible that brought a lot of things into perspective for me (not sure of the author). The other would probably be Unsafe at Any Speed by Ralph Nader (you'll never look at cars the same again)

Edit to say that I didn't detect sarcasm, so if you were being fasicious (sp?) disregard my comment. I'll have a repair man look at my sarcas-o-meter tomorrow
Old 02-23-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read I don't know how many books, in fact I think every Pulitzer-prize-winning novel, and none of them changed me at all. Books are stupid, I don't read anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?