Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 AM

Default Party Steps 3, Getting TPTK with AQ on Button and folding on flop

Both villains were tight, no further reads about them.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t50/t100
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t2300
UTG+1: t2130
MP1: t1405
MP2: t3740
MP3: t2080
CO: t1850
Hero: t2215
SB: t2230
BB: t2050

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to t200</font>, MP1 calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t350)</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t550)</font>, 2 folds.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t750, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets t500</font>, MP1 calls t500 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1250)</font>, Hero folds.

Was that too weak? I thought, one of both might have a flush draw or so, perhaps the second villain has a KQ, who knows, perhaps UTG+1 is betting a MiddlePocket like TT,JJ. But the most likely scenario I've seen is that I'm split against an AQ or drawing dead to a set or an Overpair.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Party Steps 3, Getting TPTK with AQ on Button and folding on flop

Your PF and flop actions contradict each other.

Fold PF or push flop.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:14 AM

That's what I thought first, too.

Hoewer, I called preflop, because it was just a Minraise plus 1 cold caller getting good Pot Odds and because I've been on the button. Postflop I've seen heavy action and decided to fold, with a weaker bet of UTG+1 or without the 2nd call of MP1, I'd push it.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 AM

As there was only the minimum raise from UTG+1 you could also have reraised reflop, but calling was sure right, because you had position after the flop.
Your postflop laydown was very weak i think. You have top pair with top kicker, so a very reasonable hand to play.
UTG+1 sets a continuation bet and was called, so a flush draw to the second villain is possible, but is wrong played (if it is a simple flush draw he has pot odds 2,5-to-1, if he has a flush-draw with an overcard the call is ok). Nearly the same if he plays JT with an open-ended-straight draw.
To UTG+1 a high-pair is possible, but much more likely is something like KQ, QJ or even QT. I don't think that he has trips, because then he would have checked to induce a check-raise or a trap on turn.
I think your top-pair is good here so play it. The pot is 1750 and you have 1515 left, i would push all-in here.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:23 AM

I like pushing preflop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 AM

There is only one reason not to shove this preflop, and that's if you think UTG+1's range is too tight. If that is the case, it is not a good idea to call off 10% of your stack hoping to get lucky on the flop.

So, if he's too tight that you can't shove preflop, then fold. If you are going to hit TPTK and fold, then fold preflop. You're play preflop, combined with your play on the flop, shows that you are not thinking ahead to how you are going to play this hand postflop, which is not good.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:03 PM

What kind of flop were you hoping for when you called with AQ? As played I shove this flop... I think I raise it up to 600 preflop though without a very tight range given to utg...
Old 03-31-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of flop were you hoping for when you called with AQ? As played I shove this flop... I think I raise it up to 600 preflop though without a very tight range given to utg...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise it 400 in a 750 pot?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:34 PM

well, im only worried about the preflop raiser at this point cause the cold caller obviously sucks ass. as far as that goes, i dont know if a minraise is weird or not from him but its possible that this is still a shove.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise it 400 in a 750 pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

to instill fear into the heart of my opponents... haha

you're right that raise accomplishes nothing, I just don't like shoving here with these stacks, what would you think about a raise to ~800