Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

I recently bought the Adorini brand Santiago humidor from http://www.humidordiscount.com/Humid.../Santiago.html

This is my second humidor, the previous one was from the same shop and relatively smaller model. Both these have been great, for the single exception that the hydrometers aren't very accurate. Other than that, they're perfect, come with a lifetime guarantee and quite affordable.

As for shopping for cigars, I recommend Spanish internet shops. The tobacco tax in Spain is quite nonexistant - meaning you can get very affordable prices on Cubans.

https://www.cigartradingonline.com/default.asp This shop has free worldwide delivery and ridiculously cheap prices. I'd especially recommend trying my alltime favourite, the Trinidad Fundadores (you can get 10x for $130!) which rate as top end Cubans but much cheaper than Cohibas.

I've heard wonderful things said about Onyx Reserve, http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=151 which pack Cigar Afficionado ratings of 90+ but come at a $4/stick, but unfortunately none of the EU shops sell them so I haven't had the chance to try them out. People living in the North America should definitely try them out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And pm me if you could arrange me a shipping of a few boxes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 03:25 PM

I'm just getting started with the cigar "hobby". I'm learning as I go and it's fun.

I bought this humidor "combo" kit from cheaphumidors.com:

The lighter is decent. Haven't used the cutter because I have a set of Xicar double guillotine cutters. The hygrometer has been decent so far, althouth I did have to calibrate it (I guess this is standard). The humidor is pretty well made. I seasoned it without any problems by taking a shot glass of distilled water and putting in the bottom. I also put charged my humidifier with a 50/50 solution that was included in the kit. I'm happy with the purchase.

This will probably be my last humidor purchase for a while since I would rather spend my money on the cigars themselves. So my next humidor will be a "Coolidor". You can find plans on Clugstogie.com for converting a standard cooler into a humidor.

I've ordered a set of 70% RH beads from Heartfelt Industries. I'm going to take my humidifier apart and replace the green foam stuff with these beads. Hopefully this will work better with the dry winter air.

As far as the actual cigars go, I've been trying out everything I can. I've bought a couple samplers online. I also have a B&M shop about 5 miles from my house that has a decent selection in a walk in humidor.

So far my list of cigars that I've tried include:
-La Finca Valentinos
-5 Vegas Gold Churchill
-Connecticut by Rocky Patel Toro
-Fonseca 5-50
-Gurkha Connecticut Robusto
-Playboy by Don Diego (different sizes)
-Assorted Romeo y Julietas

Probably some more, but those are off the top of my head. I have a few Montecristos and H Upmann's in my humidor, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I also have a 5 pack of Vintage 1992 Rocky Patels that should be here today and a 5 pack of Partagas Black Classicos that should be here in Tuesday. I won these on CigarBid.

Out of all the cigars I have tried so far, the Playboy's were my favorite. They are a pretty decent early morning to afternoon cigar.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:38 AM

OK, this thread needs a bump. I have been smoking daily for the past couple of weeks. A couple cigars I REALLY enjoyed:

CAO Cameroon
Oliva Series O

I couple cigars I didn't enjoy at all:

Rocky Patel 1992 Vintage
Padron 1964 Anniversary

Now I know the ones I didn't enjoy are supposed to be higher end, but I just couldn't get into them. This is the third Padron I have smoked that I didn't enjoy. Is this just because my palette hasn't really developed enough or are there some cigars that you just don't like?

Also, I will be in Mexico and Las Vegas next week, and I am looking for something unique to smoke in both places. Ideas? The Opus X is not available anywhere in Arizona from what I hear, will I be able to get something in Las Vegas? Someone mentioned Fuente has a shop there, where is it located?

Edit: Forgot to ask. What are some good places to smoke on the strip? Does the wine bar in the Rio let you smoke there?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:48 PM

I've said before on this thread that the Rocky Patel 92 is my favorite cigar right now, but I agree with you about the Padron. I don't find them to be similar in any way. That said, I'm certainly no authority on flavor profiles and I just know what tastes good to me. So if you don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it.

Unfortunately I can't answer your Vegas or Mexico questions, though considering your expressed preferences I'd say that you're probably not going to particularly enjoy an Opus X even if you can find one (certainly not to the tune of $30ish a stick).
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone mentioned Fuente has a shop there, where is it located?

[/ QUOTE ]

Still haven't been there myself, but from what I understand it's in the shops in Ceasers... not that this narrows it down all that much, but it should give you a decent starting place. They will have all the Opus, Forbidden Opus, Casa Fuente, Anejo, Flora Fina, and Hemingways you could ever possibly want. Bring extra money. And as above-poster mentioned, if you're not a big Padron/Rocky fan, you may not enjoy the Opus either... that thing is a nicotine bomb with a LONG finish on it.

Also... new stick to pimp that I had for the first time last night. La Vieja Habana, by Drew Estate. I haven't been all that big of a fan of the DE stuff, because I hate the Acid line, but this one blew me away. The LVH not only was a very good mixed-filler cigar, but the price point on this badboy is PERFECT. Boxes of 20 under $50 online, unheard of for just about anything else we've talked about in this topic.

The Corojo LVH doesn't suit my personal tastes as well as some others, but I'm pretty damn excited to try the Connecticut, Cameroon, and the Maduro wrappers. At $2.50/stick, I'll be buying these by the box even if they're just average. Perfect for weddings, or non-smoking buddies. Great presentation, great box, great band, etc... they look like much more expensive cigars, and the taste/smoke/construction is enough to fool most people.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 PM

Guys check this out... seems too good to be true. Unfortunately they don't ship to EU, so I can't try it myself [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The prices seem fantastic, and the webpage is serious enough not to seem sketchy.

http://www.puroexpress.com/
Old 03-08-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys check this out... seems too good to be true. Unfortunately they don't ship to EU, so I can't try it myself [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The prices seem fantastic, and the webpage is serious enough not to seem sketchy.

http://www.puroexpress.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly about that seems too good to be true?

They've got Sancho Panzas on there selling for upwards of $8-17/stick, even if you buy them by the box. I think I can get most of those around here for 1/3 to 1/2 that price.

I'm not too up on the pricing for most cubans, and I definitely don't know crap about Euro prices for them, but every price on this site seems to be ridiculously high.

On a second look, the prices on the Punch and Cohiba don't look all that bad... but still, not much of a "deal" to get excited about. You can find better prices at most of the online dealers.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:39 PM

Try http://www.coh-hk.com for Cubans.

I think the prices are good.

I have never ordered from them, but I have heard they are very reliable from people I know irl.

C-Dog
Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try http://www.coh-hk.com for Cubans.

I think the prices are good.

I have never ordered from them, but I have heard they are very reliable from people I know irl.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh sir, I'm gonna try them out. Also, if anybody knows a cigar shop where I could get Onyx Reserve shipped to Europe, plz holla.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if anybody knows a cigar shop where I could get Onyx Reserve shipped to Europe, plz holla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cigar.com

Have to call their 800 number to verify they ship to your specific country, but they don't say anything about not shipping to Europe.