Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which avatar to use...
They both suck get a new one 11 44.00%
South Park 10 40.00%
Eric Molina 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Cigar Thread

Thanks for the tip...kinda scared of burning my self cutting it though. What about if one side of the cigar is burning a bit faster than the rest? Is there any positioning of the cigar like twisting it around that could cure this?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Saw this link today on slickdeals. Looks like its a box of 20 cigars of different varieties, plus a few random other stuff, for $69. They claim the cigars alone retail individually for a total of $110.

Slickdeals thread

Direct link to JR Cigars
Old 07-26-2007, 03:18 AM

Some things I wanted to add. I'm pretty sure these were left out, but just skimming through I may have missed these. This is what I've heard so if any of it is wrong, let me know.

1. Once you get your cigars you want to take them out of the plastic wrap and place them in your humidor and let them sit for a couple months before smoking.

2. Never put a partially smoked cigar back into your humidor.

3. If you intend on finishing a cigar at a later time don't put out your cigar, let it naturally put itself out.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip...kinda scared of burning my self cutting it though. What about if one side of the cigar is burning a bit faster than the rest? Is there any positioning of the cigar like twisting it around that could cure this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke the cigar so that the part that isn't burning as quickly is at the bottom.

-McGee
Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Once you get your cigars you want to take them out of the plastic wrap and place them in your humidor and let them sit for a couple months before smoking.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with leaving the cigar in the cellophane. New smokers should be aware that unwrapped cigars sitting next to each other without the cellophane wrapper will undergo a "marriage" of flavors, which may or may not be desirable. Just know that a cigar stored in this way will likely taste different than one of the same brand that was stored with its wrapper on.

-McGee
Old 07-26-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some things I wanted to add. I'm pretty sure these were left out, but just skimming through I may have missed these. This is what I've heard so if any of it is wrong, let me know.

2. Never put a partially smoked cigar back into your humidor.

3. If you intend on finishing a cigar at a later time don't put out your cigar, let it naturally put itself out.

[/ QUOTE ]

a couple of months? I dont see how that could be right if you are buying from a store with a good walkin humidor.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smoke the cigar so that the part that isn't burning as quickly is at the bottom.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I figured this would work, but didn't know which way to hold the cigar.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:46 AM

Do you experts have any idea whether cheap humidors are "acceptable," or is that a "get what you pay for" type of item? Specifically, I was wondering about this 8 cigar + humidor package:

Cigars Int'l

EDIT: God, that humidor is ugly. Still, the question stands: are humidors "get what you pay for," or can you get perfectly fine ones for $20 or less?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:54 AM

You can't really tell from the internet. I would really want to see the humidor in person so I could give it the swish test which gives you a good idea if it's sealed off well. You just open the lid then drop it shut. If it slams shut it's probably no good...you want a swish.

Anyway, at the local cigar store here in Knoxville there's a small humidor for forty dollars that my friend has and it passes the swish test with me and keeps almost perfect humidity. Take that FWIW.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:27 AM

The JR weekly special is a 40-cigar humidor with 15 H. Upmann cigars in it for like $50.

The humidor looks a lot like one I got from them in another weekly special, although of a different cigar brand. It's of fine quality, but mine was damaged upon arrival. I probably could have returned it, but I jerry-rigged it so it works fine. This one might be a bit bettere value than the one from Cigars International -- hard to say from the pictures.

-McGee