Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Mark Halperin acknowledges liberal media bias

I think that reporters often choose liberal issues to discuss, because that's what they care about. Hence your liberal bias, they push liberal ideas. But then belatedly they attempt to be fair to both parties, so they say crazy stuff like "Al Gore has a plan to fight global warming, and so does George Bush".

You now continue to think Gore will tax you more, but they are roughly a wash on environmental protection. So the net effect of the liberal bias is to help conservative candidates.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:39 AM

"Sometimes I'm just struck by the absurdity and futility of these debates"

This sentiment is understandable. However true this may be, I personally have developed a greater understanding of the issues and of the mindset of various political persuasions. I am less inclined to find opposing views incredulous or contemptible. Many on this board, yourself included, who take the time to elaborate often do so thoroughly and logically and in so doing opinions can begin to be affected. A couple issues I am more open minded on since I started to frequent this forum are global warming and the Arab viewpoint vis a vis Israel and the West. Also, having to defend one's position cogently has the effect of thorough self examination and as such opinions are probably less of the 'knee jerk' variety. So all is not in vain, but on this issue, it will be a cold day in hell before my mind is changed, and you can cite 590 peer reviewed studies, I ain't buyin what your sellin'.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"This is an incredibly weak and frankly disappointng attempt at showing Matthews to somehow be a Republican hack out to mischaracterize Dems at every opportunity."

[/ QUOTE ]
You cited Matthews as a source for liberal bias. I point out that Matthews and his network are more than accomodating to the right and you turn this into my purported argument that he's "out to mischaracterize Dems at every opportunity." Of course he isn't. He's a typical MSM hack who offers up the usual bromides under the general rubric of "the elitist agendas of both parties capture the spectrum of respectable, popular opinion and policy." The GOP is on the ropes so he offers a helping hand by lying about polls in order to reinforce the myth that Republicans respond better to tax burdens. This doesn't necessarily make him partisan, but it shows how nonsensical any claim he makes that the MSM is guilty of liberal bias.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:14 AM

It's become an institutionalized lie, or maybe an institutionalized cognative dissonance because the right wing has painted itself so far into a corner that one of the few things it can fall back upon is the message that the news is a liberal conspiracy, so real patriots should put their trust in an antidemocratic leader, believe whatever he tells them and go back to sleep.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The overwhelming percentage of complaints of a liberal bias as compared to conservative bias in the mainstream press is to be ignored of course, just the result of a deliberate attempt of the right wing conspiracy to dupe their followers(they have been quite successful apparently).

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about the words you wrote that I've emboldened. The complaints about "liberal media bias" are circulated and given credence by, of course, the media (such as the claims of liberal bias by representatives from Fox, ABC and MSNBC cited in these threads). You claim that the prevalence of "liberal bias" over "conservative bias" is prima facie evidence of the former without taking into account the obvious self-interest that would exist of the media were in fact unfairly biased toward either end of the spectrum. Obviously, in either case there would be an incentive to claim the opposite of the truth.

The evident failure of "liberal bias" followers to realize this elementary fact is further proof that they are, by nature, a credulous lot.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:43 AM

History is Bunk - Henry Ford, Industrialist Tycoon and Capitalist Fanatic.

The media is Bunk - Zeno, Art Critic and TV Repairman.

Le Misanthrope
Old 11-03-2006, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The overwhelming percentage of complaints of a liberal bias as compared to conservative bias in the mainstream press is to be ignored of course, just the result of a deliberate attempt of the right wing conspiracy to dupe their followers(they have been quite successful apparently).

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about the words you wrote that I've emboldened. The complaints about "liberal media bias" are circulated and given credence by, of course, the media (such as the claims of liberal bias by representatives from Fox, ABC and MSNBC cited in these threads). You claim that the prevalence of "liberal bias" over "conservative bias" is prima facie evidence of the former without taking into account the obvious self-interest that would exist of the media were in fact unfairly biased toward either end of the spectrum. Obviously, in either case there would be an incentive to claim the opposite of the truth.

The evident failure of "liberal bias" followers to realize this elementary fact is further proof that they are, by nature, a credulous lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberal bias in the media is not what it used to be. However for decades the media did in fact ignore the complaints of conservatives. They were able to do so because there were so few outlets for news. Most people, politically unaware, either were in blissful ignorance or would not care. The complaints of those in the conservative community were ignored.

The advent of conservative talk radio began to change things. Now there was an outlet for conservative thought. Millions listened and the medium grew and profits soared. As time went by this could no longer be ignored, Rupert Murdoch was smart and catered to conservative thought, and the mainstream press eventually had to take notice. Although it is impossible to completely purge institutions of the predilections of those that are involved in their day to day operations(such is human nature), the bias is less pronounced today.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However true this may be, I personally have developed a greater understanding of the issues and of the mindset of various political persuasions. I am less inclined to find opposing views incredulous or contemptible. Many on this board, yourself included, who take the time to elaborate often do so thoroughly and logically and in so doing opinions can begin to be affected. A couple issues I am more open minded on since I started to frequent this forum are global warming and the Arab viewpoint vis a vis Israel and the West. Also, having to defend one's position cogently has the effect of thorough self examination and as such opinions are probably less of the 'knee jerk' variety. So all is not in vain, but on this issue, it will be a cold day in hell before my mind is changed, and you can cite 590 peer reviewed studies, I ain't buyin what your sellin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right of course. I was just in a quirky mood when I wrote what I did. Sometimes debates here do seem futile because it's clear no one's going to budge, or because people start getting obnoxious. OTOH, you're right that sometimes they spark thought and learning as we examine more critically our own views. But as far as what I'm sellin' goes, did I feel a whiff of a cool breeze here in hades? Nah, guess not. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]