Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Why not just get an overseas bank account?

People are posting all these elaborate ways to transfer money, but why not simply sign up for a bank account overseas and have that set up with neteller/firepay? Then you simply wire from one bank account to another.

The bank overseas isn't monitoring gaming, and the transfer from one bank to another won't have any gaming flags for US banks.

I know little about this, but surely somewhere you can both sign up for an account overseas online and be able to wire money online or even write a check to yourself.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Why not just get an overseas bank account?

that isnt the problem, it isnt hard for a dedicated player to deposit, but the average fish wont spend the necessary time setting up an offshore account jsut to play poker, therein greatly decreasing the influx of american poker money
Old 09-30-2006, 07:10 PM

That's exactly what I have been telling everyone. There's no need to pack your bags and move to Canada or Europe. As long as they're not going after individual people it doesn't matter where you play your poker.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:12 PM

Many years ago I thought the average player wouldn't go through the hassle of setting up a neteller account. I always had to transfer funds to friends and they'd give me cash, because they didnt want to go through the hassle. If there was a quick an easy way to create another bank account, I don't see how it's much different than creating a neteller account. Heck, there are tons and TONS of people who don't trust neteller/firepay. Everyone who starts up with poker wonders if it's safe. I bet many people might actually find this a better option.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:19 PM

A foregn account seem like it would work unless Neteller started screening for SSN or whatever the equivalent is in other countries. Then you would need an actual contact overseas.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:45 PM

But Neteller IS an overseas bank account. Can somebody explain why it is going to be illegal to deposit with Neteller?
Old 09-30-2006, 07:59 PM

The problem with that is that the fish won't bother doing it. The games will quickly dry up. You'll be playing only against other professionals.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Neteller IS an overseas bank account. Can somebody explain why it is going to be illegal to deposit with Neteller?

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't be illegal to deposit to neteller, as i understand. what will be illegal is to transfer between neteller and your US bank account.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with that is that the fish won't bother doing it. The games will quickly dry up. You'll be playing only against other professionals.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times was this said about neteller when it first started? No one wanted to bother doing it, now it's the backbone of the current industry.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't be illegal to deposit to neteller, as i understand. what will be illegal is to transfer between neteller and your US bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]
How? Neteller has "authentic" (i.e. non-poker related uses). How is transfering from/to my bank account to/from Neteller going to be illegal any more than some Swiss bank account?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not too worried about this, but then again, I'm a SSNL player right now. There will be both losing AND winning players that stop playing, just more losing than winning. But the thing is, this doesn't affect the world, it only affects the U.S., and there are still plenty of fish in other countries. Yes, the games will certainly be tougher, but I don't think they will be nearly as much as you imply.