Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Poker After Dark thread (week of 11/5 - Of Mouth and Men)

I'm going to give Gold some props for the way he played PAD this week. I don't like the guy but he is good for the game and the high stakes players don't want to say anything that will hurt his feelings for obvious reasons.

Except for a few typical stupid Gold bluffs he seemed able to keep the pot under a semblance of control and was able to bail out of some of his failed bluffs without overcommitting. And lets face it, in PAD format that's the way you need to play.

I'm also constant;y amazed how he gets people to call him with the worse hands and fold the best hands, time and time again. You can see the other players cringe when he goes into his talking. He definitely has gotten into some heads.

Having said that, it was apparent that the other players (except MM and Boston) had a strategy to keep the pots small against Gold and only bet big if they had the hand and let Gold bluff at it. This is a winning strategy against him.

Gold did get unlucky in the final hand. But that's poker.

I thought it was one of the better PAD weeks, except for the annoying Boston guy. And Wascika definitely can play this format (as we all knew). When I made my picks I had him second because I thought that even though he would be good at this format he didn't have the live PAD experience yet. And it showed as he got a bit frustrated.

BTW, on the hand where he had a set of deuces and Gold was bluffing into a 2 heart board, Wacsika called the 10K bet by Gold in position on the flop after thinking for a long time and Ali Nejad made a stupid comment that he had ceded control of the hand to Gold. IMO, he knew with certainty that Gold had nothing that he needed to be worried about and he was simply thinking how to get the most money out of him.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this thread angers me on so many levels.

-and the continued bashing of Jamie Gold. god hes not that bad of a player.
Good Job Mike Sexton.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the most perplexing thing is that Gold is one of the nicest and most genuine guys in poker. It's unfathomable to me for so many to hate him. It's like I'm living in the twilight zone sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit, I kind of like him. I don't think he's the best player (or even close), but he seems like a genuinely nice guy. He doesn't seem to be mean to anyone else and doesn't criticize. His reaction to getting beat by Sexton was amazing imho. Most people would've been bitching about the three-outer, but he seemed happy and amazed.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:06 PM

On a side note, is it just me or was Matusow a little too friendly towards Gold... I suspect he "borrowed" a nice chunk of change from him before the show.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, on the hand where he had a set of deuces and Gold was bluffing into a 2 heart board, Wacsika called the 10K bet by Gold in position on the flop after thinking for a long time and Ali Nejad made a stupid comment that he had ceded control of the hand to Gold. IMO, he knew with certainty that Gold had nothing that he needed to be worried about and he was simply thinking how to get the most money out of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should view it again...Ali clearly states that Paul is just calling so he can let Jamie bluff at it again...
Old 11-10-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you should view it again...Ali clearly states that Paul is just calling so he can let Jamie bluff at it again...

[/ QUOTE ]

No he said ceded i noticed it too
Too bad we didn't get to see Natalie again
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is Ali doing more play-by-play than usual this week? It seems like he's talking a lot, covering up the table talk. I can see what they're doing without him telling me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed this when the players were talking about the vegas backdrop on the windows. It seemed like they wanted to cover that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two separate points:
1) He seems to do some unnecessary play-by-play (e.g. the onscreen graphics show the bets so there's no need for him to tell us, covering up the table talk), and
2) Yes, it was clear that he was trying to cover up the talk about the fake Vegas view "windows." Ali has written that sometimes he talks to cover up things they aren't supposed to say on TV. I presumed that was things like talking about PokerStars instead of sponsor Full Tilt. I didn't know that the fakeness of the windows was something they felt needed to be concealed (did anyone believe they were real anyway?). This is the same production company that got Daniel to pretend to leave the HSP table to "replace Gabe in the broadcast booth." Would they go so far as to foist a play-money game on us as real, or do they limit their fictionalizing to the small stuff like the above?
Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have said ceded but I definitely don't think he was implying that Paul played the hand bad or anything.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Only the dealers on HSP.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jokingly only..

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't seem like it.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:45 AM

Mike Sexton seems to play really well (at least as far as anyone can tell in such a small sample). I was pleasantly surprised as I just assumed he's an old school nit.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He may have said ceded but I definitely don't think he was implying that Paul played the hand bad or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes he did. That was the point of his "ceded" comment. I'm surprised the producers let it go through but maybe they want to bring him down a few pegs to make him look silly.