Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: San Jose: more tables and No Limit action in 2008?

[ QUOTE ]

The San Jose mayor who was trying to force Garden City and Bay 101 to close is now out of office after being accused of accepting bribes,

[/ QUOTE ]

To be accurate, Gonzales was term limited out.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

To be accurate, Gonzales was term limited out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I forgot. They tried to force him to resign, but he refused and served out his term. The criminal case against him was eventually thrown out of court by a judge.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Garden City also has a 3/100 spread limit game with 1/3 blinds and 100 buyin. This is probably the smallest spread game in San Jose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be nitty, but in that 3/100 spread, blinds got changed to 3-2-1 w/ $5 drop instead of $4 about a month ago. I found this out the hard way [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM

I think your information isn't any good. I haven't heard anything, and I think the liklihood of either of these things happening is about the same as a huge meteor coming down and wiping out half of human civilization.

I hope I'm wrong, though (about the games, not the meteor).
Old 11-05-2007, 04:28 PM

It was mentioned to me by the main board guy Friday night that they will soon get approval to add more tables as well. The old rule was maximum of 40 tables of any sort and max single bet of $200. He did not mention any removal of the $200 rule only adding more tables.

The added tables would really only matter much on Fri/Sat aft/eve. The rest of the time wait times are reasonable.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:44 PM

That GC is still in business at all is entirely due to the city of San Jose wishing it so. GC has had financial troubles for at least a decade, the most public of which are the ongoing efforts of the landlords to shut it down due to problems with rent not getting covered.

I cannot imagine anyone protesting more tables getting added at GC. It solves many problems while creating none.

Re: true NL games killing the 20/40 and 40/80 LHE games, I was about to say I couldnt imagine it impacting it much because gamboolers love to gambool, not go broke in one hand. Then I remembered that the Big Game at Lucky Chances basically shut down the 9/18 LHE kill game there... so Im not sure what to think on that one.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 PM

What makes you think there's anything remotely close to sane with regard to San Jose city politics? ... and that's exactly what all this is about. That said, I'll shake some trees and see what I can find out.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Re: true NL games killing the 20/40 and 40/80 LHE games, I was about to say I couldnt imagine it impacting it much because gamboolers love to gambool, not go broke in one hand. Then I remembered that the Big Game at Lucky Chances basically shut down the 9/18 LHE kill game there... so Im not sure what to think on that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't started playing at Lucky Chances till after the 2/3/5 and 10/10/20 spread & No Limit games came in, but from what everyone tells me, I agree that that's what killed the 9/18 and 20/40 limit holdem games. Every now and then I tell the board to put me up on the 9/18, but it seems like the board operator doesn't even want to bother writing it down. As I hate Artichoke Joe's, I would rather play 9/18 at Lucky Chances than the 15/30 at AJ's. It beats driving down to SJ, or going over the bridge to the Oaks...but the 9/18 at Lucky's seems like a thing of the past now.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't started playing at Lucky Chances till after the 2/3/5 and 10/10/20 spread & No Limit games came in, but from what everyone tells me, I agree that that's what killed the 9/18 and 20/40 limit holdem games. Every now and then I tell the board to put me up on the 9/18, but it seems like the board operator doesn't even want to bother writing it down. As I hate Artichoke Joe's, I would rather play 9/18 at Lucky Chances than the 15/30 at AJ's. It beats driving down to SJ, or going over the bridge to the Oaks...but the 9/18 at Lucky's seems like a thing of the past now.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have also made a point of getting 9/18 on the board everytime i played there. after a few months of this, mae finally admitted that they simply do not spread it any more, and put it on the board simply as a courtesy.

and i agree completely with your feelings about AJs.

tonight im going to play the 15/30 at oaks for the first time. i sincerely hope its a decent game, ive heard good things about it. otherwise im back to the 1 hour drives to GC, although i hear there is a 10/20 in sacramento that i could actually imagine making the trip out to play if its live enough..
Old 11-08-2007, 03:27 AM

I talked to Mike and another red badge (Mark?) tonight. They said negotiations with the city will resume Dec. 11. They're trying to get unrestricted back line betting, the ability to stay open 24 hours, 9 new tables, and NLHE. They seem to think that Garden City may hold up the process, since GC doesn't really want Bay 101 to get more tables. They didn't really state much of an opinion on how likely any of this is to go through, though.