Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Default 5/10 - 68o - Proper river agression vs a moron

This guy is extremly showdown bound (he calls me down with Q high sometimse, ace/king high on the scariest boards) 75/45 player that has out it out for me.

I bluffed him out of a decent sized pot by c/r a strong draw into two opponents on the turn. He folded best hand, other TAG called down with middle pair.

Since then he's won 9/10 pots we're in, and I ended up down over 700$ just to him over the night, while he berated me telling me he hopes my family dies and laughing at my call downs..

Very unpredictble. Checks behind a lot, can give maniac type agression or calling station passsivity. Will check behind middle pair on the turn sometimes and raise the river, completly whack style .

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Heisenb3rg is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, Heisenb3rg calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4SB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Heisenb3rg bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3BB, 2 players)
SB checks, Heisenb3rg checks.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, Heisenb3rg???

These are one of those sitautions where I figure he's either got a strong hand or air, but I find I've been just calling too many rivers after improving to a pair, and think im missing out on bets. Is this is a good situation to raise?

Also a little extra hand for cathartic purposes... After dropping about 700$ and recieving name calling after name calling , having two sets within one orbit cracked by him, one with a runner runner gutshot and the other with a flushdraw and capping me up on the turn with it...

I totally snapped.. Making my biggest spew hand in the history of my spews.

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
4 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (4 players) Heisenb3rg is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, Heisenb3rg calls, BB checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Heisenb3rg bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Heisenb3rg bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Heisenb3rg 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB caps</font>, Heisenb3rg calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10BB, 2 players)
Heisenb3rg checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Heisenb3rg raises</font>, BB calls.

Results:
Final pot: 14BB
<font color="#ffffff">Heisenb3rg showed 7s 8c</font>
<font color="#ffffff">BB showed 9c 4d</font>

To all the spewtards out there: Your not alone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: 5/10 - 68o - Proper river agression vs a moron

i don't think there's a good answer to be honest. pfr + flop check is usually a monster but since this guy is weird, who knows? i would call without more info on his hand range w/ this exact action.

also,

[ QUOTE ]
I bluffed him out of a decent sized pot by c/r a strong draw into two opponents on the turn. He folded best hand, other TAG called down with middle pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
hahaha

and lol at your other hand too. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2007, 04:08 PM

god a douche like that fckn smoked me when I took another shot at 10/20 last night. well, my guy wasn't THAT nuts but I totally empathise with losing 9/10 pots vs someone crazy enough that you need to pay him off a lot.

I just call because he can have a whole bunch of better hands and I wouldn't feel comfortable folding to a 3bet. I'll mess around with some numbers later but I don't think we are ahead 66%+ of the time.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:09 PM

ps love that monkey tilt [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2007, 04:41 PM

I've spewed worse.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Oh my.

I don't think you need to get flashy against a player like this. Just make a hand and show it down in a reasonable way. Since he's in so many pots, if you do this all night long you will get his whole stack.

No way I raise this river. Sure you might get one extra bet out of something, if he has something, but more likely he folds or crushes you. The extra bet is not worth the extra stress, especially given that you're fretting about this guy already. He will be in another pot with substandard cards the very next time the cards are dealt. Call this one, hope he didn't hit a draw or have a big hand in the first place, and then get on with the next pot.

Guy.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM

Just call the river. I can sympathize with the feeling, but don't try to "outplay" this guy. Just adjust your calling/raising standards downwards as appropriate, and play straightforward value poker. Turn value check FTW, I might add.

Hand 2 is expert.

P.S. what's his SN? As TKGB would say, you were paying him with my money anyway, and I want to get it back...
Old 05-24-2007, 05:27 PM

just call this river in hand 1. Be happy you hit your draw. You have to call if he 3-bet so just call and smile and move on.

BTW that 2nd hand is so bad. Then i saw you open limped pf and it got worse. The river c/r takes spewing to a whole new level.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:22 PM

I think you should just call this river. I can sympathize with what you are going through. I've had those sessions where you're playing someone you should be crushing but everything goes wrong, and it's hard for me not to get angry after a certain breaking point. I don't know what feels worse: playing okay but losing and losing and losing; or playing bad and spewing a bunch of bets and then having my luck turn around and getting closer to even while realizing how much less I would have lost if I hadn't spewed and tilted while running bad.

Your reads of him calling you down light on bad boards to do so and then folding top pair or better to a turn c/r seem inconsistent. I suspect that villain either folded a worse hand that would have improved on the river to your turn c/r, or if he actually folded top pair, he is something of a thinking, possibly tricky, LAG (even if his plays aren't necessarily close to optimal). I also don't think bluffing this guy is a very good idea, either heads up or multiway. Especially if the multiway pot involves a TAG that is some combo of bad/showdown monkey/compelled by larger pot odds/tilting/suspicious of you/confused by your raise to call down with less than top pair.

When I am playing badly -- which sadly is more often than not these days -- I make way too many ridiculously desparate bluffs and frustration calldowns. I think my winrate would increase significantly if I could convince myself to call it a session -- or at least take a ten minute break -- when I reach this point.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Heisen - I played with you fairly recently, I haven't played limit in a while. I had the biggest loss in terms of BB for a day, like 120bb over maybe 1300 hands. I switched back to no limit and was still on tilt 2 days later. You play better than me, I went over your hands when I saw you posted here, its a sick game, but you know that.