Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Playing JJ Preflop? When to cap the betting? When to call the 3-bet?

While holding JJ PF, I am wondering when I should cap, and when I should just call to the 3-bet.

I am hoping people can give me some general comments on the JJ preflop, and I'd like to give a few specific hand examples.

Let's say I'm playing around the 5/10 FR limit online and that my opponents are unknown or standard (decent players).

--------------
Hand one:

Preflop: Hero is MP with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Folds, Hero raises, fold, LMP reraises, folds, Hero...

Now what? In the past I have been capping this. But I am rethinking.

--------------
Hand two:

Preflop: Hero is C/O with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Folds, MP raises, fold, MP reraises, folds, Hero...

Now what? It has already been 3-bet. I can't see folding here without very specific reads on these guys, but I can see the good in capping and in calling 3 cold.

--------------
Hand three:

Preflop Hero is EMP with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Folds, Hero raises, fold, MP reraises (3-bets), folds, C/O calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, Hero...

Now what? I need to cap with AK here, right? But what about with JJ?

---------------
Old 04-26-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Playing JJ Preflop? When to cap the betting? When to call the 3-bet?

my teeth are killing me, but my abridged answers are:

1- i call most of the time.
2- i usually cap that [censored].
3- cap for value.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Playing JJ Preflop? When to cap the betting? When to call the 3-be

1. You are OOP/HU. Call and plan on C/R most flops.
2. You are in position 3 ways. Your reads on their ranges is very important. If either one is a rock/TP, I can call 3 cold. If I feel I'm even with one of their ranges. Obviously, the reraiser has given you more information. My read on him is usually more pivotal because I am ahead of the first raisers range unless he's a rock. Given reads, this could turn out to be a coldcall, cap, or even a fold (ie. Both are weak tighties), but I'm capping against unknowns.
3. Cap for value to charge everyone who came along. You are OOP and may be slightly behind MPs range (99+, AJs, AQo+), but the times you take everyone. I am not capping with TT here so it is somewhat close.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my teeth are killing me, but my abridged answers are:

1- i call most of the time.
2- i usually cap that [censored].
3- cap for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I agree with James w/o looking at his post. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Playing JJ Preflop? When to cap the betting? When to call the 3-bet?

For me anyway, re-raising JJ is sometimes read dependent. Most of the time, I'm jamming the chips into the pot. Sometimes...meh...here's an example from a recent hand at the Isle of Capri in Lake Charles.

I'm in MP with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise. Everyone folds to the CO who calls, button re-raises. Button is your classic rock who plays only 5-10% of his hands and only raises with QQ, KK, or AA, period. So, I just called.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:46 AM

JJ is a very vulnerable Hand especially if you face a couple of opponents. I personally would 3-bet myself or call a 3-bet with JJ in any position. I would cap if there is any chance to drive somebody out. If there is no chance to drive someone out I would prefer just calling and see if there are overcards in the Flop.

I'm looking forward to futher opinions.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Hand one: I rarely cap HU OOP period. Opponents cbet nearly 100% of the time anyway so there's little harm in c/ring the flop instead (assuming it's not a disaster).

Hand 2: Generally cap

Hand 3: Pretty easy equity cap imo.