Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Reguest: Restaurant recommendations in DC area

[ QUOTE ]
When I visited D.C. about 10 years ago, I had one of the finest meals of my life at 1789 in Georgetown. It was pricey and upscale/snooty, but the food was truly incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've definitely heard that; never had an occasion to make reservations, though. Isn't there Ten Penn (with funny spelling) in that area also?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I visited D.C. about 10 years ago, I had one of the finest meals of my life at 1789 in Georgetown. It was pricey and upscale/snooty, but the food was truly incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've definitely heard that; never had an occasion to make reservations, though. Isn't there Ten Penn (with funny spelling) in that area also?

[/ QUOTE ]

ten penh is good...part of a local restaurant group including DC Coast, Acadiana and Ceiba....Ceiba is the best food of all of them IMO.

Ultimate meal in the city is supposedly Citronelle, unfortunately I can't afford it (see username). Michel Richard did just open a lower end bistro though called Central which I'm guessing will be damn good.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has the Delhi Dhaba in that neighborhood been torn down yet?

You'd be surprised how good the pasta is at IOTA. But for the best old school Americana (mixed with greek and italian) food anywhere in town, you can't beat Metro 29, around the intersection of Lee and Glebe.

Now I miss it. I'm hungry. Too bad I'm in Colorado now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Delhi Dhaba actually expanded as I recall - I never went because I'm weirded out by the Special Goat on the menu. I should probably try it out before I leave in August, as I've heard lots of good things.

I've never even thought to eat at Iota despite stopping by a fair amount to listen to bands. I don't think I've even seen Metro 29, I never go that far North, will look for it.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Actually, I'd recommend Galaxy Hut over IOTA for bands, but that's because I have a soft spot in my heart for that joint.

My biggest regret was never getting to play a show at IOTA before I moved away (though I did actually play the mainstage at the Black Cat once.) Saw a LOT of good bands at IOTA.

Anyway, my own personal recommendation for Indian is actually Cafe Bombay, out Route 29 in a strip plaze near Waples Mill Road. It's pretty much next to the EXPO home decor center, and just south of 66 near Fair Oaks.

Dehli Dhaba, however, was where I had my 2nd date with my now wife.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'd recommend Galaxy Hut over IOTA for bands, but that's because I have a soft spot in my heart for that joint.

My biggest regret was never getting to play a show at IOTA before I moved away (though I did actually play the mainstage at the Black Cat once.) Saw a LOT of good bands at IOTA.

Anyway, my own personal recommendation for Indian is actually Cafe Bombay, out Route 29 in a strip plaze near Waples Mill Road. It's pretty much next to the EXPO home decor center, and just south of 66 near Fair Oaks.

Dehli Dhaba, however, was where I had my 2nd date with my now wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually never been in Galaxy Hut I don't think - I have a couple of acquaintances who DJ (spin? is that the term?) there, and that + the name kinda told me it's not my kind of music. IOTA does get some very cool bands.

29 & 66, i.e. Centreville? That's where I grew up [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm not familiar with Waples Mill Rd I don't think, but I don't get back there much anymore. I drive out 66 a few times a year though, I'll look for it.