Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Reguest: Restaurant recommendations in DC area

[ QUOTE ]

what they say:
Seafood
- McCormick & Schmidts - haven't been there
<font color="red">yum! consistently really good, although do not eat their cherries! they taste like fish [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]</font>

Other
For casual lunches, if you haven't tried <font color="red">Panera</font> (I know it's a chain, but I don't know where the locations are), it's FANTASTIC! It's very good quality and amazing bread; a bakery that just happens to make sandwiches, desserts, soups and salads, not the other way around.

Mike's American Grill - one of my mom's favorite places for business lunches. Down in Springfield, but if you're down there for business, worth the drive.

similarly, everything else owned by that chain is delicious. they all have INCREDIBLE bread!

Check out <font color="red">Sweetwater Tavern</font> and <font color="red">Carlyle</font> for more of the same great quality, service and atmosphere. A girl from my HS actually works as a server at Carlyle (Lauren Gorski), and a girl from my middle school works(ed?) at Sweetwater as a server also (Jen Pritzker).

If you're interested in a campy "experience", one of the very few <font color="red">Cheeseburger in Paradise</font> locations is in Woodbridge, VA, right next to Potomac Mills mall, the second largest outlet mall in America! It is the largest tourist destination in all of Virginia!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I keep recommending places that aren't particularly upscale, but they'd be amazing for lunches. I also know the majority are in NOVA, not D.C., but if you make it down there, I hope you have a great time!
Old 03-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Kanlaya in chinatownis a very good thai place. What are you looking for? I really like Zaytinya for Mezze, Jaleo is a fun place with good tapas, georgia browns is good as someone said, as is B. Smiths for similar fare. Ceiba is excellent...contrary to what someone else said, I like Old Ebbitt Grill. Cafe Milano in Georgetown is excellent...Bistro du Coin.....this list could go on and on.....
Old 03-25-2007, 11:22 PM

Hmmm I was pretty down in my original post, let me perhaps make amends. For steaks you can't go to wrong at chain places, Ruth's Chris, the Palms (I think that's a chain), and have heard that both Sam and Harrys and Blackies are good as one of the other posters said. I actually think that Thaiphoon is pretty good but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to a visitor as a "place to go"; there were lots of good Thai suggestions in other posts and links. Right near Chinatown is a place called Zengo (it's at the Gallery place metro on the red line) that I've heard RAVES about, never been there myself. If you've never been to a Five Guys, they are like a fast foodish place that sells great burgers with tons of toppings and awesome homemade fries (although I must admit some people do not like the fries). And like soem of the links say, the Ethiopian here is very good, I've been to Meskaram in Adams Morgan and thought it was pretty good, I'll bet there are better places around. Pretty big fan of Sushi Taro although last time I was there I was a little disappointed...they do have an all you can eat day coming up soon,though, one of these next weekends. I just can't think of anywhere you NEED to go when here, which is why I came off like such a snob in my first response.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:36 PM

this is one of my favorite restaurants anywhere in the US:

marcel's
Old 03-25-2007, 11:53 PM

Indian - Haandi in Falls Church, VA. Not fancy but the best Indian I’ve ever eaten... and I lived in London for two years.

Chinese - Mark's Duck House in Baileys Crossroads, VA. On the req of other posters, I went here a few weeks ago. Awesome peeking duck.

Peruvian Chicken - The Chicken Place in Bailey's Crossroads, VA. Rotisserie Chicken taken to the next level. Be prepared to wait in line for awhile. Don't forget the hot sauce.

Authentic Soul Food - Florida Avenue Grill, U-Street area. Bit of a rough area so visit in the day.

Best Kept Secret - DC Fish Market. Visit on weekend for some shrimp with tons of Old Bay seasoning.

Best Grilled Cheese (in the entire US) - Stoney's Bar and Grill at its new location on P Street. I have no idea how they get the cheese to melt with bread that thick.

Upscale Happy Hour - Drink's on the roof of the Hotel Washington. Check out the snipers on top of the White House.

Cheap eats near the White House - Casa Blanca, 1000 block of Vermont Ave. Don't expect good service or the cleanest restaurant (I think the change the table cloths once a week), but they have very good pupusas. Cash only.

Mediterranean - Zaytinya, China Town-Verizon Center area. Full menu of tasty mezzos.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys. OOT is the best and the Shajen thread also has scads of info.

I def. think I'll check out Georgia Brown's, the rest I'll discuss with the missus.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:18 AM

In Arlington, you can get phenomenal chili at Hard Times Cafe. I would also not miss Red Hot 'n' Blue BBQ in Arlington, either. Their motto is "best BBQ you'll ever eat in a building not yet condemned". They're right.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm I was pretty down in my original post, let me perhaps make amends. For steaks you can't go to wrong at chain places, Ruth's Chris, the Palms (I think that's a chain), and have heard that both Sam and Harrys and Blackies are good as one of the other posters said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a much better experience at Sam &amp; Harry's than at Ruth's Chris.

OP, take that sample size of one for whatever it's worth. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 AM

Some more reqs….

Solid Spanish Cuisine - Cafe Atlantico

Upscale Cajun/Creole – Acadiana, New York Ave, DC

Trendy Date Place - Mie and Yu in Georgetown. Asian Fusion. Blueberry Crusted Lamb Loin is very good.

Cheap eats in Arlington – Faccia Luna. Decent Brick oven pizza at an awesome price. They have a lunch special that’s something like $7 for 2 slices, salad and a drink.

Alexandria’s waterfront – The Chart House is good for some drinks but the food leaves a lot to be desired. Try Mai Thai instead.

Gyro – Zorba’s in Dupont. Not the best gyro I've ever had, but the best in the city.

German – Café Mozart. Sausage fest… in a good sort of way. Small restaurant in the back of a German/Austrian specialty store near metro center. Don’t use your knife to spread the mustard or you will be yelled at by the German waitress! She will give you a special mustard spoon.

Quality Mexican/Tex Mex - Lauriol Plaza in Dupont. Good ritas and quality food up and down the menu. Awesome chips and salsa. Can get crowded on weekend nights despite being a massive place.

Best flashback to my college days at U of I – Jimmy John’s subs in Alexandria. Mmmm… #10 with easy mayo.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I def. think I'll check out Georgia Brown's,

[/ QUOTE ]

I can recommend a good cardiologist in the DC area as well. After devouring their yummy biscuits you will need one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]