Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Lessons from the Pro Poker Tour - quick review

I just picked up Lessons from the Pro Poker Tour by David Apostolico Pro Poker Tour

I haven't finished reading it yet but my first impressions are good.

David walks you through different hands that he has either played or witnessed during the Poker Tour (almost every hand involves pro players). He evaluates the play made by each player and what lessons could be taken from those plays.

This book helps you start thinking like a pro when making difficult decisions - he even breaks down the book to different hands and situations such as playing pre and post flop AK, QQ, JJ and other difficult hands.

This book almost reminds me of a NL version of Roy Cooke's book - Real Poker II, the Play of Hands.

I am not an expert NL player so I can't say whether or not the information is correct but I do think this is a worthwhile book to check out.

Anyone else read this?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Lessons from the Pro Poker Tour - quick review

I haven't read it and was, honestly, thinking of skipping it. I didn't really think much of his previous books, but based on your post here I might check it out. It sounds interesting.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:28 PM

Hey deacsoft,

Yeah, I know what you mean.. personally I never picked up his other books as they seem kind of gimmicky (i.e. Machiavellian Poker Strategy, Tournament Poker and the Art of War, etc...) but this one is different.

It's more about hand analysis and the thinking process of different starting hands preflop and post flop..how to think like a pro in different situations (i.e. call or bet with AK in the button and if betting, how much should you bet given who is in the hand, what they may hold, how good of a player they are, etc...).

He's got another book coming out called: Lessons from the Felt: Advanced Strategies and Tactics for No Limit Hold'em. I imagine that this book may have more of the same type of content.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:52 PM

avatar, is this book good value? (and i don't mean, it has a few good ideas.... heck i should owe this site and cardplayer tens of thousands based on that criteria).

seems like a small page count. although the price is pretty low.

also, do you have friendship with author? your review seems o.k., but the amazon ones read like marketing fluff.......
Old 08-29-2006, 12:57 AM

Hey bruin,

I don't have any friendship with the author - this is the first book I have ever bought from this author nor have I posted any reviews on Amazon.

Not including the glossary, there is about 145 pages - I think it is a good easy read.

I simply bought it b/c I like reading books that really delves into how to think through hand examples and other than the HOH books, there really isn't too many out there for NL Hold'em.

I am not an expert NL player so I can not say what the exact level this book would cater too. I would say intermediate and above as some of the hand examples are quite well explained.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:14 PM

avatar, thanks... sounds like a good book... and you are correct that there really isn't much out there for no-limit. whenever anyone asks, it seems like it's harrington (great books, but i think misused i.e. not good for SNG against average players), LGB (excellent book) and NLTP (same thing)