Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 07:33 AM

Default Re: NL Cap game \'a la\' FTP

[ QUOTE ]
Question from Sharukh10: Dear Howard, how can you be "the professor" with basic spelling and grammatical errors.
Answer from Howard Lederer: Sorry. I am in London. It is 2 AM and I had a few drinks. I will do my best. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
oh professor
Old 09-20-2006, 11:21 AM

god created pot limit for a reason

nl cap is just stupid
Old 09-21-2006, 02:46 PM

First off I had heard, as Howard confirmed, the biggest of big NL games were often capped. That is what I'd always heard about Doyle's Big Game. So for people to say it's stupid, maybe you should go tell that to Doyle and the boys.

HOWEVER, let me add this....we tried this last week in my home game. We've been playing some Omaha Hi and it has not gone well. Since most of the players are NLHE guys, we just played NL Omaha Hi. Ugh. That was a disaster. Half the guys lost their stack in just a few hands because they had boat over boat and thought they had the near nuts.lol Then, being a limit guy, I thought we'd try that out. Most of the guys had never played limit at all before that. Well that didn't work either. Everyone saw the flop and everyone saw the showdown and I got the typical excuses from inexperienced limit players...."everyone calls", "you can't bluff", "you get drawn out on" blah blah. Pot limit isn't an option because with no dedicated dealer, we'd always be counting the pot and I can assure you it would just be one "I bet the pot" after another.

Sooo, that leads us to Cap limit Omaha. It was just one more disaster. Why? Because about 4 hands in a row we had it capped at 30 BB preflop. Someone sees a couple aces and another AKQ9 and they think they need to get 30 BB in. Ugh. It was worse than NL in some ways because it just turned into..."raise, re-raise, I cap it, call, call, call. Turn your cards over and run out the community cards." Wow, loads of fun.lol

Sooo, I don't know what the answer is for us. I think that cap limit could be a very cool idea when played with the right players. But then again the same thing can be said with NL....get the wrong guys and it's just "all-in" over and over.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 PM

The problem with the full tilt cap games is where the cap is set. If you set the cap much higher, say at the max buyin or 3/4 of the max buyin it would be much more palatable.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off I had heard, as Howard confirmed, the biggest of big NL games were often capped. That is what I'd always heard about Doyle's Big Game. So for people to say it's stupid, maybe you should go tell that to Doyle and the boys.

HOWEVER, let me add this....we tried this last week in my home game. We've been playing some Omaha Hi and it has not gone well. Since most of the players are NLHE guys, we just played NL Omaha Hi. Ugh. That was a disaster. Half the guys lost their stack in just a few hands because they had boat over boat and thought they had the near nuts.lol Then, being a limit guy, I thought we'd try that out. Most of the guys had never played limit at all before that. Well that didn't work either. Everyone saw the flop and everyone saw the showdown and I got the typical excuses from inexperienced limit players...."everyone calls", "you can't bluff", "you get drawn out on" blah blah. Pot limit isn't an option because with no dedicated dealer, we'd always be counting the pot and I can assure you it would just be one "I bet the pot" after another.

Sooo, that leads us to Cap limit Omaha. It was just one more disaster. Why? Because about 4 hands in a row we had it capped at 30 BB preflop. Someone sees a couple aces and another AKQ9 and they think they need to get 30 BB in. Ugh. It was worse than NL in some ways because it just turned into..."raise, re-raise, I cap it, call, call, call. Turn your cards over and run out the community cards." Wow, loads of fun.lol

Sooo, I don't know what the answer is for us. I think that cap limit could be a very cool idea when played with the right players. But then again the same thing can be said with NL....get the wrong guys and it's just "all-in" over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If no limit, limit, and cap games all failed miserably I'm gonna suggest your crew has an Omaha problem.

Try 'em on Stud or something.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If no limit, limit, and cap games all failed miserably I'm gonna suggest your crew has an Omaha problem.

Try 'em on Stud or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't necessarily true. No-Limit and Limit Omaha Hi are both pretty crappy games (never tried cap limit, so I wouldn't know). Omaha Hi is almost always played Pot-Limit, and for good reason. Try it out. Is it really that hard to count the pot? Most decent players are doing it anyway throughout the hand.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This isn't necessarily true. No-Limit and Limit Omaha Hi are both pretty crappy games (never tried cap limit, so I wouldn't know). Omaha Hi is almost always played Pot-Limit, and for good reason. Try it out. Is it really that hard to count the pot? Most decent players are doing it anyway throughout the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our guys really love NL HE and everyone seems to like Omaha Hi just because it's a change. I would love to play PLO and several of us would definatly always know the amount of the pot. However, we have a few guys who are total donks and have no idea if there is $10 or $2,000. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I can just see it being a total disaster because of a couple guys....but I'm willing to give it a try I guess. I really love limit but I already explained why that's not an option.

Thanks for the comments guys. They are appreciated.