Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Re: The Well: cmyr

how often should you bluff with the Naked Ac on an all club board when your fairly certain your opponent has a flush? Do use it more multiway or HU when implementing it?

thx
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any opinion on coaching? Have you ever had one, and did it help your game? If so - any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never really had any coaching in any official sense but I can totally understand how it could help someone's game. I'm not sure about RoundTower's rates, but I respect his understanding of the game, and i know he offers coaching, so he'd be someone to ask.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and another one: as a beginning PLO player, care to give some examples of posters that I should listen to? Guess that like in other forums, the guys that sounds most confident in their answers isn't always the ones giving the *best* answers...?

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing with PLO is that all of the basic lines are really straight-forward math problems, for the most part, and they can be answered easily. Most of the more difficult questions require information that is player dependent to answer, and as such the forum is only of limited help.

It's hard to single out posters who're particularly good. Rempel, when he posts, is very rarely wrong. The same is true of Roundtower. A few other guys like pete, wazz, and pioop are sound as well. There are lots of newer posters who I'm less familiar with like scoot and crushinfelt who seem to have a fairly good grasp of the game, and who are at least asking what I think are the right sorts of questions.

The last question about reviewing/reading has already been answered, but I do also user pokerhand.org and find it useful.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how often should you bluff with the Naked Ac on an all club board when your fairly certain your opponent has a flush? Do use it more multiway or HU when implementing it?

thx

[/ QUOTE ]

As often as you think you can get a fold.

I used to make this play alot more often, and I found it started being -EV. I shut it down completely for a while and started potting like the 3rd nut flush on the river for value, and getting called alot. Now the times I have the naked ace are times when I've had another draw or another repable hand and I've called a bet on the flop/turn. When making a play with the naked ace it's really important that you've played the hand the same way you'd be expected to play a nut draw, because if it's some backdoor flush or something and there was another draw out and you pot the river you're going to get snap called by any flush since it's such a good bluffing spot if you have the A or not.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Being the preflop aggressor is a huge edge.

When you're playing against a super laggy player, your best strategy isn't to be more aggressive, but to turn into a calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you come up with a unifying theory to harmonize these two statements?

How would you play this hand if you were reading 2+2 and have no reads on the player.

PokerStars Game #11678203649: Omaha Pot Limit ($3/$6) - 2007/08/25 - 02:40:53 (ET)
Table 'Scutum V' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: TomCowley ($980.40 in chips)
Seat 2: dormida05 ($738 in chips)
Seat 3: KipsterDK ($1810.95 in chips)
Seat 4: Trolleur ($992.70 in chips)
Seat 5: DrCaligula ($440.80 in chips)
DrCaligula: posts small blind $3
scuba_joe_12: is sitting out
scuba_joe_12 leaves the table
TomCowley: posts big blind $6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Trolleur [5s Kc 7c 4s]
dormida05: folds
KipsterDK: raises $15 to $21
Trolleur: calls $21
DrCaligula: folds
TomCowley: folds

*** FLOP *** [Jc 5c 7h]
KipsterDK: bets $42
Trolleur: calls $42

*** TURN *** [Jc 5c 7h] [7s]
KipsterDK: bets $102
Trolleur: calls $102

*** RIVER *** [Jc 5c 7h 7s] [Jd]
KipsterDK: checks
Trolleur: checks
Old 08-25-2007, 03:03 PM

I wouldn't always defend my button here, but if I did I'd play it about the same. the turn looks like a normal second barrel which I'd call and then probably fold to a big bet on the river unimproved. After the river check it looks like he has something he thinks he can showdown but which he doesn't think he can value bet, so I'd expect to be good most of the time. With that in mind I'd value bet hoping to get called by a non full seven or jack. Clearly fold to a river c/r. I think this is a very clear valuebet since he's either got nothing or he's got a little something, and you aren't getting called by a better hand too often since every better hand should be betting. If he does show up with a better hand you need to take a note and start checking behind with medium strength hands.

An important basic concept here is that with two paired board cards it's much less likely that villian is full. A c/r is probably quads.