Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Senator Larry Craig

ElD - I agree with you. Between Vitter, Gingrich, Livingstone and Craig it is horrible the level of hyprocrisy. Then of course there are all the people caught up in the Abramoff stuff last year and Duke Cunningham. Democrats are just as corrupt but there is something about claiming high and mighty status that pisses me off more when Republicans do it. This is coming from a conservative guy who was Republican staff on Capitol Hill until the last elections.

Chaos: LApokers is actually pretty accurate. Democrats like Al Gore for example oppose things like vouchers that would let middle class families send their children to local private schools while they send their kids to $30,000/year prep schools like St. Albans and Andover. I would say it is very hypocritical to give a speech to the teachers union opposing vouchers and saying the local public schools are good enough for middle class/blue collar families hours after writing a fat check to the prep school their child attends. DC has a highly succesful voucher program that most of the local Dems support because their public schools are terrible yet the national party leaders still refuse to budge.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

"In recent years, Craig's voting record has earned him top ratings from social conservative groups"

"He has supported a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage"

"In 1996, Craig also voted in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act, which denies federal recognition to same-sex marriages"

"Craig also has opposed expanding the federal hate crimes law to cover offenses motivated by anti-gay bias"

"in 1996, voted against a bill that would have outlawed employment discrimination based on sexual orientation"

[/ QUOTE ]

Some serious self-loathing going on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just political expedience; that seems more likely to me. He's from Idaho, which isn't a very progressive state.

Glenn Greenwald had a good piece on Salon today pointing out how many of the same commentators who howled about Rogers trying to out Craig back in October - because Craig's personal sexual behavior was irrelevant - are the same ones who now think he has to go for his terrible sexual deviancy. The main difference, of course, is that back then it was election season, and now it is not.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 PM

Gotta respect a man who doesn't kiss and tell in this day and age.....a true gentleman.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 PM

Looks like he definately caught the ghey.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah - it's almost as funny as when democrats send their kids to private schools - LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. Or like John Edwards charging $50k for a speech on poverty.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless I'm reading this wrong, but isn't there a difference in claiming moral superiority and being a hypocrite, and fighting for strong educational system and sending your child to a private school...which isn't hypocritical at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you condemn school choice and claim that we all must support public education, while sending your own kids to private schools, there is some level of hypocrisy there. Your private actions should match your public words. If public schools are good enough for everyone else, then they should be good enough for your kids.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Glenn Greenwald had a good piece on Salon today pointing out how many of the same commentators who howled about Rogers trying to out Craig back in October - because Craig's personal sexual behavior was irrelevant - are the same ones who now think he has to go for his terrible sexual deviancy. The main difference, of course, is that back then it was election season, and now it is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rogers has outed McConnell and Graham too.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 PM

How did a thread about Larry Craig taking the "wide stance when I crap" defense to a claim that he was looking for a gay sexual encounter in a public bathroom turn into a discussion of education reform?

This Larry Craig guy is an active gay-basher, yet it's pretty clear that he's a closet homosexual, liar, criminal. Scary that he's a United States Senator.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:16 AM

while this is pretty funny I find it disturbing that you can apparently get arrested for "wanting to engage in a [consensual] lewd act" based on the interpretations of a police officer hanging out in a bathroom. I don't really see what he did that broke what I would think be laws.

Additionally are there female undercover police officers trying to induce or waiting around places for males to want to engage in lewd acts? I suspect not and that is a double standard IMO.

I'm all for having more security checks of public restrooms and/or having more police security stationed close by so that people can report if there in inappropriate behavior but this seems a bit much to me.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 AM

Back in the 80's there was a scandal involving Congressmen screwing underage Congressional pages. Some of the pages were male and some were female.

No one mentioned Craig at all, but he went on TV and declared that he hadn't nailed any male pages anyway. At the time, people took this as a sign that he had something to hide. Rumors have followed him ever since.

The Republicans in Idaho are going to make it impossible for Craig to get renominated now, regardless of whether he's gay or not. Some of these same guys are ones who have defended Vitter in Louisana. So the issue is definitely not cheating on the wife, but whether it's with a random dude or a female prostitute.

BTW: The private school comparison doesn't work. It would only be applicable if someone like Gore had voted to make private schools illegal. There are plenty of things I spend money on that I wouldn't want the government to buy for everyone.