Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Shoulder Exercises

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you worried about your shoulders?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm worried about my shoulders because I just feel it's an area that is lacking for myself. The only exercise here that I haven't really done is wide-grip pull-ups. I mostly just do regular pull-ups for my back. So maybe switching to the wide-grips will help me out.

I have tried the rest and perform them with proper techniques, but I just do not see any results with my shoulders. I'm at the point where I probably will just stop doing isolated shoulder exercises because I really do not see any results with them.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM

Those isolation exercises dont work for most people. I could only start growing shoulders when I started the compound exercises. Much more enjoyable workouts, take less time, and the lifts themselves are more comfortable. Overhead barbell press has become my favorite lift.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:44 PM

you are already doing power cleans and high pulls?

i find this hard to believe for someone that is doing upright rows...check out one of those program designers i wrote about in my previous post...they both have shoulder specialization programs...
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are already doing power cleans and high pulls?

i find this hard to believe for someone that is doing upright rows...check out one of those program designers i wrote about in my previous post...they both have shoulder specialization programs...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been lifting for several years actually so I have done them before. They are a good exercise, but they really didn't do much for my shoulders. I'll check out the shoulder specialization programs though.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:59 PM

There's a good chance you're doing too much shoulder work, and that may be preventing you from getting the results you want.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 PM

If you're really worried about shoulders you should read this article by CT. Probably the most comprehensive list of exercises I've seen for the shoulders in a while. He's also written some shoulder specialization programs if that suits your fancy, but the majority of lifters aren't advanced enough to "need" specialization programs for certain body parts.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1578184

Search for his name at t-nation and then read all his other shoulder articles as well. \

Hope that helps!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a good chance you're doing too much shoulder work, and that may be preventing you from getting the results you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

People's tendency always seems to be to add more when they don't like their progress. Usually it's the opposite of what they should be doing. I'd be willing to bet a good 5x5 program of squats, deads and overhead presses would do more for your shoulders than adding any of the movements mentioned here to whatever OP's current routine is (since he seems unwilling to give it).
Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 AM

Colt is right about not doing to much. The only really shoulder isolated exercises you should be doing are the exercises to strength the smaller core muscles of your shoulders. Those generally dont grow at the rate of the larger muscles and you want to make sure to hit them as well to avoid shoulder issues (like I have had to deal with)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People's tendency always seems to be to add more when they don't like their progress. Usually it's the opposite of what they should be doing. I'd be willing to bet a good 5x5 program of squats, deads and overhead presses would do more for your shoulders than adding any of the movements mentioned here to whatever OP's current routine is (since he seems unwilling to give it).

[/ QUOTE ]

For my routine I spend one day entirely on shoulders. I alternate with the amount of sets and reps but the basic exercises are as follows:

Overhead barbell press
Lat raises
Dumbbell Side shoulder raise
Dumbbell Shoulder press
Upright rows
Shrugs
Dumbbell Front shoulder raises

Maybe I do overwork my shoulders. But what baffles me is after doing all of this I still will not see the same results as if I were to do a few sets on the bench press or push-ups. When I do these exercises, I realize my shoulders get a great workout and I notice the results. I guess the isolated shoulder workouts aren't worth the time.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:53 PM

If you overtraining your shoulders you shouldnt expect to see the results..you arent giving your muscles a chance!!!

Like I said..if you want to do some shoulder isolate...look up shoulder rehab exercises and do those to help keep the smaller stabilizing muscle strong...otherwise..between bench, standing military press, pullups and some rows your shoulders will see more than enough work for growth.