Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Question on harrington on holdem v1

I'm about halfway through reading harrington on holdem, this is the first book on poker I have read.

I noticed that when referring to a lot of his preflop hands he suggests folding/calling or folding/raising or folding/calling/raising in different percentages.

Now my question is why would you ever fold a hand randomly which you could also call. On page 185 for instance he says call KQo 50% of the time and fold 50%.

I understand you need to vary your play to make it harder for opponents to get a read, but if you fold they never see your hand, so your opponent might think that you are calling KQo 100%.

Wouldn't it make more sense to call 100% if you think you no one will raise, and fold 100% if you think someone will raise?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Question on harrington on holdem v1

It's just rough guideline which basically means "this is a mediocre hand that is dangerous to play OOP, so you should only play it once in a while, depending on your table image and depending how tight/loose/aggressive the rest of the table is playing". [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]